• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this housing ordinance really a crime?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JohnSteed

You are owed no clarification at all, and you may actually make things worse if you walk in complaining of this. Really.
Ok. I think I get your point...nobody likes a whiner. But what do you suggest as a defense? I wish I could show you a picture of how far back from the sidewalk those garbage cans were. I truly don't believe I am guilty of the ordinance, as it was intended. The garbage cans were not bothering anyone! Please advise what you would do if you were in my shoes. Thank you!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ok. I think I get your point...nobody likes a whiner. But what do you suggest as a defense? I wish I could show you a picture of how far back from the sidewalk those garbage cans were. I truly don't believe I am guilty of the ordinance, as it was intended. The garbage cans were not bothering anyone! Please advise what you would do if you were in my shoes. Thank you!
Your defense is that, while you may not have been complying with the letter of the law, you feel that you were complying with the spirit of the law. The huge hurdle you have is that this is not a first offense. You KNEW that the city didn't want them there, but you allowed them to remain there.

JohnSteed

Your defense is that, while you may not have been complying with the letter of the law, you feel that you were complying with the spirit of the law. The huge hurdle you have is that this is not a first offense. You KNEW that the city didn't want them there, but you allowed them to remain there.
Now we're getting somewhere! "The spirit of the law". I like it! I had also planned to request a refund of the fine I paid for the first ticket, since I only paid it to get out of having to miss a day of work to go to court. I will explain that I had originally moved the garbage cans to the rear yard and informed the tenants, but they forgot and put them back where they have been accustomed to putting them.

Do you think the pictures of the neighbors' garbage cans will have any value at all? Or should I just keep them to myself unless the judge says something like "Why is it you keep getting tickets for garbage and nobody else does?"

Thanks again! I feel we are getting somewhere now! This is good stuff!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Now we're getting somewhere! "The spirit of the law". I like it! I had also planned to request a refund of the fine I paid for the first ticket, since I only paid it to get out of having to miss a day of work to go to court. I will explain that I had originally moved the garbage cans to the rear yard and informed the tenants, but they forgot and put them back where they have been accustomed to putting them.

Do you think the pictures of the neighbors' garbage cans will have any value at all? Or should I just keep them to myself unless the judge says something like "Why is it you keep getting tickets for garbage and nobody else does?"

Thanks again! I feel we are getting somewhere now! This is good stuff!
Frankly, since this is not your first offense, you are likely to get nailed. Charge the fine to your tenants (if the lease allows it.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">