• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this legal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ablessin

What is the name of your state? new york

I have a question. I recently won a mixed cd on e-bay. "Country Hits #9 was the title. What I was expecting, is like any other cd I won on e-bay, maybe a used copy of the store purchased disc.

What I got was/is a home-made copy of the original. IS this legal? I thought you could not copy music for personal profit/sale ...I thought I was bidding on a CD - -what I got, I could have compiled myself and saved $9.50

Is what this seller doing legal? Seems like a super way to make easy cash to me.

janedoe23

I have bought a few DVD'S that were copied from a few sellers and the minute I complained to them they all immediately refunded my money. Tell the seller you want your money back unless of course he listed you would get a copy in the auction.

Last edited:

ablessin

no, if the auction stated it was a copy, I never would have bid in the first place.

I sent a note to the seller asking if this was legal.
I'll see what her reply to me is!!!

I said what a racket you've got going on. I am considering tipping off e-bay - if it's illegal.
I just immediately thought of that whole Napster ordeal because I used to belong and I liked being able to "swap" songs for free. But I guess in a way, I can see the point.
But, this is a whole cd, which to me is a lot different than one song.

justalayman

You cannot sell copies of a recording unless you have permission from the copyright holder. As a matter of technicality you can't even give them away without also giving the original with it.

What you got definately sounds illegal. I'm sure eBay would like to know.

ablessin

That is very interesting.

Thank you for confirming my suspicians.

I will be in contact with e-bay regarding this seller.

I appreciate your time

shadows

ablessin said:
What is the name of your state? new york

I have a question. I recently won a mixed cd on e-bay. "Country Hits #9 was the title. What I was expecting, is like any other cd I won on e-bay, maybe a used copy of the store purchased disc.

What I got was/is a home-made copy of the original. IS this legal? I thought you could not copy music for personal profit/sale ...I thought I was bidding on a CD - -what I got, I could have compiled myself and saved $9.50

Is what this seller doing legal? Seems like a super way to make easy cash to me.
REPORT IT TO EBAY. And if you used paypal, I would file a claim with paypal as well. Ebay has strict policy against the copying of music. Copyright enfridgment

ablessin

I filed a fraud report on e-bay yesterday afternoon.
I am waiting to hear back.

I will file with Paypal as well...... although under the standard buyer protection, I doubt I'll get my $ back as the minimum is $25. But at least maybe can stop this person from copying more cd's!! :eek:

I had won a freezer mug I wanted for my husband for Christmas, and I filed a report thru paypal (paid 9/2005) - I still don't have the mug and paypal said I am not elig for buyer protection, I was $7 shy of the $25 minimum, and of course, the seller is no longer a registered user!!! :(

ablessin

It is SO not my intention to sue anyone.

All I am getting at here, is this seller auctioned off a CD- what I received was a COPY - is that "pirating"**************..

It is illegal to buy music and copy it and sell it for personal profit.

If it was legal, Napster never would have been an issue and no one would ever buy cd's from the store!!!!

That was all I was getting at. It's not right. I thought I was bidding on a "real" cd- - - all the other CD's I've ever got off e-bay were the real thing, most even new in the shrink wrapping still!! But whatever, I thought it was a used CD - not a home made copy

justalayman

HomeGuru said:
I bid on a fairly new car and won. I was sent a matchbox car. Should I sue ebay?
To the OP: Yes it is illegal. You are doing the right thing.

HG : did you ever hear the story about the gal that won the toy yoda from the radio station? She understood it to be a Toyota. Last I heard she was trying to sue. Don't know where she got.

You Are Guilty

justalayman said:

HG : did you ever hear the story about the gal that won the toy yoda from the radio station? She understood it to be a Toyota. Last I heard she was trying to sue. Don't know where she got.
lol

look up one post :p

HomeGuru

justalayman said:

**A: yeah, weren't those DJ's fired?

ablessin

justalayman said:

Can't say I heard about this....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">