• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this legal????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

keeshy2

I joined a social club in Virginia. I used the in-house financing and authorized them to take $92.44 out of my checking account every month for 12 months. I signed a contract. The contract has several parts. Under the Dues section the guy wrote in monthly dues of $19.04 for 11 months but did not write in beginning or ending days - he actually X-ed out those blanks. Under the Federal Truth in Lending Disclosures section it clearly shows a payment schedule of $92.44/month for 12 months. Can they legally take the $19.04 each month like they've been doing? I did not finance that - why has the finance company been taking that out? Also, the contract clearly states "The finance charge does not exceed 18% per annum." Yet above he wrote 19.6% APR. Isn't that a violation? And this contract states it is a one-year contract and I believed I was signing a 3-year contract. I found out that people who joined the same month I did but paid in full aren't paying these dues. What can I do about my problem? The company won't return my phone calls, saying I have to talk to the boss, who is never in. Or they call my work late at night when they know I'm at home and when I call back no one is available to help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">