• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this probable cause?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

toomuchinfo

What is the name of your state? Oregon

My boyfriend was hauled off to jail for an FTA warrant. I also found out later that in addition to the FTA, he is being charged with 2 counts of burglary and theft. There was a burglary and theft that took place at my ex-roommate's apartment, but I know that my bf could not have committed the crime, because during the time that it happened, my bf was with me at home at our new place...in another town! We found out after the burg and theft happened that they found all of the stuff that was stolen from my ex-roommate on my bf's scum-bag friend. My ex-roommate gave the cops all of mine and my bf's contact info, but noone ever questioned us. How can my bf be charged with probable cause when he was not a part of the burg or theft? The stuff was found on his scum-bag friend and my bf was not even in the same town when it happened! The only thing I can think of is if they fingerprinted the items that were stolen...but since my bf was a roommate and used the items (with permission), his fingerprints would probably be on the items. I'm so confused! WHAT IS THE PROBABLE CAUSE?!? :mad:

O

OhBullship

toomuchinfo said:
What is the name of your state? Oregon

My boyfriend was hauled off to jail for an FTA warrant. I also found out later that in addition to the FTA, he is being charged with 2 counts of burglary and theft. There was a burglary and theft that took place at my ex-roommate's apartment, but I know that my bf could not have committed the crime, because during the time that it happened, my bf was with me at home at our new place...in another town! We found out after the burg and theft happened that they found all of the stuff that was stolen from my ex-roommate on my bf's scum-bag friend. My ex-roommate gave the cops all of mine and my bf's contact info, but noone ever questioned us. How can my bf be charged with probable cause when he was not a part of the burg or theft? The stuff was found on his scum-bag friend and my bf was not even in the same town when it happened! The only thing I can think of is if they fingerprinted the items that were stolen...but since my bf was a roommate and used the items (with permission), his fingerprints would probably be on the items. I'm so confused! WHAT IS THE PROBABLE CAUSE?!? :mad:
Where did the scumbag friend tell the police he got these items?

O

OhBullship

toomuchinfo said:
Scum-bag said that he got them from bf? If that's the probable cause..why wouldn't anyone question bf?
They had a reason to suspect him in that situation. I'm sure he will be questioned at some point in time. When he is you might tell him to get an attorney.

toomuchinfo

Thanks OBS,

His probable cause hearing/pretrial is tomorrow morning. I think he will be appointed an attorney (since he cannot afford one). Unless they questioned him some time today, it seems like it's a too late.

O

OhBullship

toomuchinfo said:
Thanks OBS,

His probable cause hearing/pretrial is tomorrow morning. I think he will be appointed an attorney (since he cannot afford one). Unless they questioned him some time today, it seems like it's a too late.
If things happened exactly as you wrote then good luck to him.

JETX

toomuchinfo said:
How can my bf be charged with probable cause when he was not a part of the burg or theft?
He could be charged because the police very likely have more information than you have.... or at least have the real story.
And of course, none of us can even GUESS why he was charged without reading the officers affidavit.

I suggest he get a local attorney. He/she can review the FACTS and present a defense, if there is one.

toomuchinfo

I found out this morning that the burg and theft charges were dropped before the hearing/pre-trial, and now he has Trespassing 1. I don't know what is going on now. I'll wait and see tomorrow the outcome of the hearing/pre-trial.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">