• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is This True???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NYMinute

I had several online transactions done to my bank account 3 months ago that were not mine. They totalled $1985.00 and were of various amounts. Someone tried to hit me over and over and my bank notified me that this was happening. I filled out an affadavit with the bank and had the charges reversed along with all the fees. I then got a call from a collection agency for the online company that debited my account. I had done business with them before ( that I gave them permission to debit my account for )
Anyway, the CA wanted the affadavit sent to them so thats what I did. About a month later, they told me they needed a police report filed and a copy sent to them so they could close out the account.
Since I work out of town I forgot about it and never got it done. 2 months later, they called and said they needed a police report or the account will be escalated to a "STATE LEVEL". What does that mean??? I will have the report done but does a collection agency actually send something like that to a state level etc or are they just trying to get me to do it so they can close out the claim ???? I'm just curious. Thanks for any insight.

Veronica1228

NYMinute said:
I had several online transactions done to my bank account 3 months ago that were not mine. They totalled $1985.00 and were of various amounts. Someone tried to hit me over and over and my bank notified me that this was happening. I filled out an affadavit with the bank and had the charges reversed along with all the fees. I then got a call from a collection agency for the online company that debited my account. I had done business with them before ( that I gave them permission to debit my account for )
Anyway, the CA wanted the affadavit sent to them so thats what I did. About a month later, they told me they needed a police report filed and a copy sent to them so they could close out the account.
Since I work out of town I forgot about it and never got it done. 2 months later, they called and said they needed a police report or the account will be escalated to a "STATE LEVEL". What does that mean??? I will have the report done but does a collection agency actually send something like that to a state level etc or are they just trying to get me to do it so they can close out the claim ???? I'm just curious. Thanks for any insight.
I have to admit that I've never heard this phrase before. Maybe Ladynred or Debt Guy have. I'm guessing they are threatening to take you to court to seek a judgment, but again this is just a guess.

I recommend that you just run, don't walk, to the police station and file that report. It won't take long and then this mess will be behind you.

Last edited:

NYMinute

Thank you Veronica.
the thing is...this company is in canada ( the original co but the CA is in OHIO ) and the transactions were for online gambling. Is that really enforceable anyway????
If it goes to court, it's not a tangable item and it was an online transaction.
I hate to file a police report because I dont want them coming to my home and taking my computer etc.....it's just hassle and it's kinda scary!

Veronica1228

NYMinute said:
Thank you Veronica.
the thing is...this company is in canada ( the original co but the CA is in OHIO ) and the transactions were for online gambling. Is that really enforceable anyway????
If it goes to court, it's not a tangable item and it was an online transaction.
I hate to file a police report because I dont want them coming to my home and taking my computer etc.....it's just hassle and it's kinda scary!
I don't know what the police investigation (if there is one) will entail, but if the CA is asking for you to file a police report than I highly suggest you do it. In a way, it is kind of a "good faith" gesture that will convince them that your fraud claim is legit and not just some kind of ploy to get out of paying something that is owed.

NYMinute

Right, I understand that....and will file it for sure. I spoke to the police today. They said this online stuff is rampid.
The thing is...I just wondered if I didnt do it ( cuz I'm out of town during day and it's inconvenient ), would they be able to prove in court that these were even mine anyway...or are they yanking my chain.
thank you V..you're so nice to post advice here.

Veronica1228

NYMinute said:
Right, I understand that....and will file it for sure. I spoke to the police today. They said this online stuff is rampid.
The thing is...I just wondered if I didnt do it ( cuz I'm out of town during day and it's inconvenient ), would they be able to prove in court that these were even mine anyway...or are they yanking my chain.
thank you V..you're so nice to post advice here.
I really can't say what kind of evidence they have or what they will be able to prove. They may use your reluctance to file a police report to make you look guilty. Unfortunately, I can't answer this part of your question.

However, your local police department is open 24 hours a day, so no matter what time you get off of work you should be able to file a report. It is really your only way out of this.

You have been very nice so I hate to accuse, but is there another reason that you don't want to file a report? Do you know the person that did this? Are these charges legit, but you didn't want to pay them? Again, sorry to accuse you, but I don't get why you are making so many excuses to not file a simple police report. A couple of hours or less of your time will get you out of this mess. Is there more to this story?

TigerD

NYMinute said:
I had several online transactions done to my bank account 3 months ago that were not mine. They totalled $1985.00 and were of various amounts.
Someone tried to steal $1,985 from you and you don't want to report it to the police????

DC

NYMinute

yes and the police didnt know HOW to file it. They said it wasnt identity theft but they said..we'll just do the paperwork to satisfy the collector. We dont have time to look into anything less then 10K anyway.

So thats it huh?

Veronica1228

NYMinute said:
yes and the police didnt know HOW to file it. They said it wasnt identity theft but they said..we'll just do the paperwork to satisfy the collector. We dont have time to look into anything less then 10K anyway.

So thats it huh?
If that is all the CA was asking for, then probably yes. I really wouldn't know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">