• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Issue with unemployment benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mobbdeep

What is the name of your state? Arizona

Hello,

I filed for lost wages unemployment due to COVID-19. I have noticed now on the AZDES UI website, it says for benefit week 04/04/20 and 04/11/20 an amount was paid via "Electronic Payment" on 04/08/20 and 04/14/20. However, I have not received anything in my bank account whatsoever. The only thing I could possibly think of is that I filed for unemployment back in 2017 and maybe they're using that information but it never got accepted back then nor was I ever paid out therefore I don't see how that could be the case, or, "electronic payment" means something completely different in their terms aside from direct deposit. Calling their Customer Care number is impossible to reach a representative so I'm not sure what to do.

Hopefully someone can give me a pointer.

Thanks!

Last edited:

adjusterjack

Can you go into your UI account profile and see what banking information the state has for you?

If you had a different bank or account in 2017 perhaps check with that bank and see if they sent the funds back to the state.

You might have to end up waiting until the state notifies you that money has been returned.

mobbdeep

Can you go into your UI account profile and see what banking information the state has for you?

If you had a different bank or account in 2017 perhaps check with that bank and see if they sent the funds back to the state.

You might have to end up waiting until the state notifies you that money has been returned.
After doing a bit more research on their website, it appears that if you're approved for UI benefits that you're automatically enrolled in their "Electronic Payment Card program" where the money will be debited and should be received in the mail within a week after approval. I assume once I receive this card in the mail, the funds will be available to me.

Chyvan

I filed for unemployment back in 2017
Because of this, AZDES mailed you a debit card. That debit card had instructions that you were to keep it because they'd put future benefits on it for at least 3 years.

If you had signed up for direct deposit, that information gets purged with a sufficient gap in claiming, and things reassigned to the previously issued debit card.

I assume once I receive this card in the mail, the funds will be available to me.
You need to find your old card, or report the old one lost or stolen to get a new one. They switch banks but in 2015, they were using BofA.. If it's changed since then, I wouldn't have current information.

Last edited:

mobbdeep

Because of this, AZDES mailed you a debit card. That debit card had instructions that you were to keep it because they'd put future benefits on it for at least 3 years.

If you had signed up for direct deposit, that information gets purged with a sufficient gap in claiming, and things reassigned to the previously issued debit card.

You need to find your old card, or report the old one lost or stolen to get a new one. They switch banks but in 2015, they were using BofA.. If it's changed since then, I wouldn't have current information.
I never got approved for UI in 2017. To this day, it still shows unresolved issues in my dashboard. I went to the DES office today and they gave me the number to BofA which when I called them, they said there was never even a card sent out to my old address or my new address so they went ahead and sent out a new one which should be here in 7-10 days.

Chyvan

It doesn't matter whether you were approved or not. AZDES sends out a debit card for no other reason than you submitted a UI application. I know because I still have mine with the letter than says, "this card does not mean that you were approved."

I never needed to use mine because I submitted direct deposit information that was processed prior to ever having funds released. My first payment hit my bank account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">