• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Issues on my land is easement.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I own some land in WV that my deed only states neighbors have the right to ingress and egress; however, I'm having issues with it turning into a public spot for known drug users, mentally unstable people and lawbreakers that the neighbor lets in and out of his home (they're homeless). They cuss, walk around and sit there with their vehicles running for 30 minutes to several hours at a time; often from midnight to 4AM. This is visible outside my main window for my kids to see/hear, and it makes my wife and I uncomfortable about leaving/coming home. Is there anything that we can do to stop this? Everytime I ask one what they're doing there is a chance of getting shot because they always carry guns and spotlight deer.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I own some land in WV that my deed only states neighbors have the right to ingress and egress; however, I'm having issues with it turning into a public spot for known drug users, mentally unstable people and lawbreakers that the neighbor lets in and out of his home (they're homeless). They cuss, walk around and sit there with their vehicles running for 30 minutes to several hours at a time; often from midnight to 4AM. This is visible outside my main window for my kids to see/hear, and it makes my wife and I uncomfortable about leaving/coming home. Is there anything that we can do to stop this? Everytime I ask one what they're doing there is a chance of getting shot because they always carry guns and spotlight deer.
Take your deed to an attorney and let them review the actual easement.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
1) How do you know that the neighbor allows this?
2) Have you called the police about any illegal activity that you have witnessed?

FarmerJ

If you call the police they can make people who are parked on your property get off then unless that nieghboring property is hit by lightning or burns down I suggest you consider buying it when it goes on the market then make the changes like re locating the driveway IF that property has zero access to a public road or what ever you need to in order that it have its own driveway ( maybe fenced in on your side ) then either rent it out ( I doubt many drug user tenants are going to want to live right next to the landlord ) or re sell it .

quincy

Long ago I experienced living next to low life neighbors. It took me a long time to realize that they would outlive and outlast me. I sold out and moved.

I suggest you do the same.
I agree that selling the property might be more satisfactory in the long run. Bad neighbors can make life miserable.

Unfortunately, selling and moving is not always a realistic option for many people, for a whole host of reasons.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">