• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I've defaulted on two ccs sent to collections, yet the ccs report me as late to the bureaus monthly...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LadyHaHa

Is this legal? Is this legal as in reporting me over 30 days late every month after already reporting me as defaulted and the debts sold off to the collection companies? PS I acquired and defaulted on the ccs in NY. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

quincy

Is this legal? PS I acquired and defaulted on the ccs in NY. Thanks in advance!
You did, by your own admission, default on two credit card accounts. The credit card companies can turn the debts over to debt collection agencies without selling these debts the collection agencies.

LadyHaHa

Thanks for the reply. I was asking whether them reporting me late on payment monthly after the debts were reported sold off to collections was legal (reporting me double so to speak).. I'll rephrase my posted question. Thanks, though, for the response.

quincy

The credit card accounts will continue to show on your credit reports along with the account history and will show no payments made for each month there is no payment made.

The unpaid credit card account will remain on the credit reports for 7 years, even after the debt is sold, as part of your negative credit history.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
However, to answer your question, the debt should only show (for each card) once, not twice.

justalayman

However, to answer your question, the debt should only show (for each card) once, not twice.
It can show as many times as there are owners of the debt. The disposition of the account needs to be shown from any creditor having sold the account.

quincy

The debt can show up several times - for the original credit card account, and for any debt collection agency that buys the debt.

Example:
Home Depot account; Charge Off; Closed by Home Depot.
Debt Collection Agency 1; Home Depot; Sold.
Debt Collection Agency 2; Home Depot; Balance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The debt can show up several times - for the original credit card account, and for any debt collection agency that buys the debt.

Example:
Home Depot account; Charge Off; Closed by Home Depot.
Debt Collection Agency 1; Home Depot; Sold.
Debt Collection Agency 2; Home Depot; Balance.
The account may show many times - the debt only once.

quincy

The account may show many times - the debt only once.
The debt shows up under different holders of the debt - the original credit card company shows up and the debt collection agency or agencies. Same debt (albeit different information on the debt).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">