• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I am off work at this time with high blood pressure, can't sleep, loss of apetite, etc.
I am off work by doctors orders for 3 weeks for job related stress. My problem is that even if we manage to get this under control with medication when I return to work I will be under the same stress. I spoke with my employer and made him aware of the problems I was having. He said that by the time I come back things will be different. That was one week ago and almost no changes have been made. The employees above me have lied about what they have said and done. I am 56 and have worked for this company for 31 years. It would be very difficult to start over now but I don't know if I can handle returning to work. What are my options?



Sorry to hear that you are under so much stress at work. Despite your age, if you are in good health, I do not think that it is too late to do what you want. If this job is making you so sick that your body is suffering then it is cutting your life short. Your are living to work, not working to live. Everybody needs to feel happy about their work. The boss is the last person to be concerned about that. Don't let your age scare you. Try to find a means of living that is not so fast paced and in a country setting.


Hi- I am not a lawyer but was in a similar situation last year at this time. My job was severely affecting my health. My boss promised to make much needed changes that never materialized. How I handled the situation was to look for reasonable ways to handle the stress as well as find a change that helped me. I applied for a different position within my company and through the help of our Human Resources dept. was able to transfer to the new position and maintain my salary as well as benefits (as a longtime employee). This was a great option for me and I thoroughly enjoy my job again!


From what you said, there is no case of employment discrimination. Yet, I would strongly urge you to contact an attorney that specializes in Workers' Compensation law. They should all give you a free consultation.

From what you say, I would think that all your doctors bills will be covered under Workers' Compensation law. Your injuries are probably a direct result of your employment there. If your injuries are indeed covered by Workers' Compensation law, then not only will you get all reasonable and necessary medical treatment, but you will get compensation for that injury as well.

Moreover, if you are unable to work there any longer due to the injury, then your award will include compensation to account for that. To consult with an attorney near you, go to attorneypages.com.

Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential