• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint custody & Shared parenting

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amarita77

What is the name of your state? OH

Is there a difference between joint custody and shared parenting? For example, we would have shared parenting with me being the residential parent and having the kids about 61% of the time.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? OH

Is there a difference between joint custody and shared parenting? For example, we would have shared parenting with me being the residential parent and having the kids about 61% of the time.
Joint physical custody and shared parenting are really pretty much the same thing. Neither requires any particular timeshare.

amarita77

With shared parenting, does the residential parent have more say over the decision making? For example, if there's a disagreement with medical treatment or something like that?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Joint physical custody and shared parenting are really pretty much the same thing. Neither requires any particular timeshare.
WRONG. Shared parenting comes with a shared parenting plan HOWEVER in the shared parenting plan one parent can have sole decision making, or sole physical custody. But neither requires any particular timeshare.

LdiJ

With shared parenting, does the residential parent have more say over the decision making? For example, if there's a disagreement with medical treatment or something like that?
Only if the orders specifically state that in the event of a disagreement the residential parent has the final say.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Depends what the shared parenting plan states.

amarita77

We had court this morning. My ex decided to settle before the hearing because he's a loser and didn't want to pay any money to me. Anyhow, what we agreed on was shared parenting with me being the residential parent. My ex will have an extra day or two a week with the kids. He doesn't have a job, so there was no child support order. I told my attorney that the only way I would agree to it was if I could make the decisions regarding medical care, etc.

It's all said and done now. I told my kids they get to come home, and my ex went nuts. He said we have joint custody, and I better call my attorney because I'm wrong. My attorney is out of the office now. I just want to make sure that I am correct that shared parenting isn't the same as joint custody.

Thanks for all the advice!

LdiJ

We had court this morning. My ex decided to settle before the hearing because he's a loser and didn't want to pay any money to me. Anyhow, what we agreed on was shared parenting with me being the residential parent. My ex will have an extra day or two a week with the kids. He doesn't have a job, so there was no child support order. I told my attorney that the only way I would agree to it was if I could make the decisions regarding medical care, etc.

It's all said and done now. I told my kids they get to come home, and my ex went nuts. He said we have joint custody, and I better call my attorney because I'm wrong. My attorney is out of the office now. I just want to make sure that I am correct that shared parenting isn't the same as joint custody.

I think that you have been mislead a little bit with our answers, because you didn't give us the backstory on your questions.

With joint custody and shared parenting both there can be one parent with sole medical decision making, and the timeshare can be whatever timeshare you have agreed upon.

It sounds to me like dad is thinking that you have a 50/50 timeshare. If you didn't actually sign anything on the courthouse steps your agreement may end up breaking apart before it does get signed.

amarita77

We didn't sign anything in front of the magistrate, but we both waived the 14 day waiting period. So, as far as I understand, it is a done deal.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Way to coparent.The attitude expressed in bold needs adjusted. MAJORLY.

Shared parenting depends on the exact WORDING of the shared parenting agreement. If you don't have a shared parenting agreement you have nothing. Shared parenting is NOT a standard order of any kind. You can agree on a standard order but you are clueless quite frankly by stating that you agreed on shared parenting. Really? Who is doing transportation? What is the time split? Where are the children going to school? Who is the residential parent for school purposes? How many weeks of vacation do each of you get? Who makes medical decisions? What happens if the children are in extracurricular activities? Should I continue? So what exactly is the agreement?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
We didn't sign anything in front of the magistrate, but we both waived the 14 day waiting period. So, as far as I understand, it is a done deal.
Actually no it is not. Because you have no clue what the agreement says. The magistrate may take shared parenting to mean joint legal and physical custody. And that may be the order. Then the time is waived so you can't appeal it. What did you folks put on the record?

amarita77

I am the residential parent. He is to buy the kids clothes & necessities for his home. I am not to send anything back & forth. Medical expenses are 50/50. Sports, etc are paid by the parent who signs the child up. When the kids (oldest is now 12) start driving, we will split car ins. I claim all kids on taxes every year. I get the house (have to re-mortgage) & both vehicles (paid off). He keeps his $6,000 401k. He does almost all of the transportation. Summer does't go by guidelines but our regular schedule we submitted continues. Holidays are by guidelines. We do have a schedule that was submitted.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I am the residential parent. He is to buy the kids clothes & necessities for his home. I am not to send anything back & forth. Medical expenses are 50/50. Sports, etc are paid by the parent who signs the child up. When the kids (oldest is now 12) start driving, we will split car ins. I claim all kids on taxes every year. I get the house (have to re-mortgage) & both vehicles (paid off). He keeps his $6,000 401k. He does almost all of the transportation. Summer does't go by guidelines but our regular schedule we submitted continues. Holidays are by guidelines.

So based on that you have JOINT legal and physical custody with you having residential for school purposes. Almost all transportation? That is vague as all get out. And doesn't mean anything legally. Who buys the car for the child? Your regular schedule based on what? Sports, etcetera? Etcetera can cover EVERYTHING quite frankly except medical. What if the child goes to camp? What about vacations? You may end up quite upset with how this is written by the magistrate.

amarita77

I said he does almost all the transportation because of the pick-up/drop-off point. We are to meet at Kroger which is about 1/2 mile from my home & 12 miles from his home. The bus picks up & drops off at my house.

I know I will likely end up spending way more money than he will. That's ok. I know how he is with his other kids. So I know he will quickly tire of caring for the kids. It's sad but I would be surprised if he makes it a whole year sticking to the schedule. The ridiculousness of this is that he and I had made this agreement on our own almost 3 months ago! But he decided to get an attorney and drag it out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">