• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint Legal Custody Definition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Nevada

Can anyone tell me where I can find the actual legal definition of joint legal custody? I cannot find it anywhere all I can find is how others interpet it. I would like to have something that I can actually copy, paste and reinterate!

Alternate question- In the event there is joint legal custody, that includes and physical altering of the child as well no? IE. piercings, haircuts etc....what is your opinion? I know it sounds petty but it is really the principal, you cannot just make these decisions on your own when there is another active parent in the child's life..

CourtClerk

Joint legal custody means that both parents agree on major issues regarding the child. Schooling, daycare, medical needs, religion (although there is nothing from stopping each parent from practicing their religion on their time).

Haircuts? No
Piercings? A wobbler
(The one I always laugh about)... school pictures? No

casa

What is the name of your state? Nevada

Can anyone tell me where I can find the actual legal definition of joint legal custody? I cannot find it anywhere all I can find is how others interpet it. I would like to have something that I can actually copy, paste and reinterate!

Alternate question- In the event there is joint legal custody, that includes and physical altering of the child as well no? IE. piercings, haircuts etc....what is your opinion? I know it sounds petty but it is really the principal, you cannot just make these decisions on your own when there is another active parent in the child's life..
'Normal' haircuts (ie; trims, etc.) = No.
Mohawks, shaved head, etc. = Yes.

Ear piercings? = No.
Body Piercings? = Yes.

What seems to be the 'rule of thumb' is whether it 'significantly alters the child's appearance'.

Isis1

'Normal' haircuts (ie; trims, etc.) = No.
Mohawks, shaved head, etc. = Yes.

Ear piercings? = No.
Body Piercings? = Yes.

What seems to be the 'rule of thumb' is whether it 'significantly alters the child's appearance'.
mohawks?? really? :confused: i will definitely not be doing that one then. my 6 year old asked for one :(

BL

Examples :

http://www.childcustodyfyi.com/child_custody_glossary.html

Joint Custody
The main issue with being awarded , or agreeing to Joint Legal , and/or Joint Custody is that Both Parents must be willing to work together on decision making .
________

Joint custody refers to custody agreements under which when both parents share physical custody, legal custody, or both.

Legal Custody
Legal custody gives a parent the right to make all decisions in regards to a child’s upbringing. Such decisions include the child’s religious affiliation, method of education, and medical/dental care.

http://www.divorcenet.com/states/new_york/nyart27

Joint Custody
Joint custody means joint legal custody, and not how much time the child spends with each parent. Joint custody gives both parents equal decision making authority. Joint custody will allow both parents an equal role in rearing their children, provided both parents can work together to make joint decisions. However, equal authority also means that each parent has an absolute veto over the decisions of the other parent, meaning that complete deadlock on decisions involving the child will result if a mutual agreement cannot be reached. joint custody is appropriate on consent of both parties, but is not appropriate after a hearing.

Last edited:

casa

Examples :

http://www.childcustodyfyi.com/child_custody_glossary.html

Joint Custody
The main issue with being awarded , or agreeing to Joint Legal , and/or Joint Custody is that Both Parents must be willing to work together on decision making .
________

Joint custody refers to custody agreements under which when both parents share physical custody, legal custody, or both.

Legal Custody
Legal custody gives a parent the right to make all decisions in regards to a child’s upbringing. Such decisions include the child’s religious affiliation, method of education, and medical/dental care.

http://www.divorcenet.com/states/[B]new_york[/B]/nyart27

Joint Custody
Joint custody means joint legal custody, and not how much time the child spends with each parent. Joint custody gives both parents equal decision making authority. Joint custody will allow both parents an equal role in rearing their children, provided both parents can work together to make joint decisions. However, equal authority also means that each parent has an absolute veto over the decisions of the other parent, meaning that complete deadlock on decisions involving the child will result if a mutual agreement cannot be reached. joint custody is appropriate on consent of both parties, but is not appropriate after a hearing.
Although please note the last paragraph is in re; NY and is not relevant to many other states. ie; In many many states, Joint Legal Custody is awarded after a hearing...and in my state for instance, it's almost always AFTER a hearing bc contested custody goes to Mediation.

Also it's not true that each parent has absolute veto over the parent in many many states...that's ridiculous & would result in endless litigation w/each parent vetoing every single thing the other parent did, to the detriment of the child's health, academia, psychological welfare, etc.

Lastly, it's also not true that Joint Custody does not refer to Physical Custody. There is Joint Physical Custody & there is Joint Legal Custody. There is Sole Physical Custody & Sole Legal Custody.

Just as a clarification.

BL

Although please note the last paragraph is in re; NY and is not relevant to many other states. ie; In many many states, Joint Legal Custody is awarded after a hearing...and in my state for instance, it's almost always AFTER a hearing bc contested custody goes to Mediation.

Also it's not true that each parent has absolute veto over the parent in many many states...that's ridiculous & would result in endless litigation w/each parent vetoing every single thing the other parent did, to the detriment of the child's health, academia, psychological welfare, etc.

Lastly, it's also not true that Joint Custody does not refer to Physical Custody. There is Joint Physical Custody & there is Joint Legal Custody. There is Sole Physical Custody & Sole Legal Custody.

Just as a clarification.
That's why I edited to say examples .

Also the OP's username ends in NYC .

There is a difference in Joint Physical and Joint Legal .

If nothing else Joint Legal gives a Parent way more Parental rights and remedies than Just visitations alone .

penelope10

If nothing else Joint Legal gives a Parent way more Parental rights and remedies than Just visitations alone .
Exactly. Ex and I have joint legal. We don't have joint physical though.

casa

I didn't catch your edit.

OP says the state is Nevada.

That was my point. You said that Joint Custody was not referring to Physical...and it does. It refers to BOTH types of Custody.

Joint Legal is MOST common. Barring unusual circumstances, almost every parent has it. Joint Physical is less common.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">