• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgement awarded against me. Exemptions on homestead!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? New York. I had a judgement awarded against me. What I need to know is that in NY can someone satifsy a judgement by trying to forcefully sell your house when it is co-owned by my spouse who is not part of legal action. I am aware of the wage garnishment, lien, sale of personal property....etc; but my real question was in regards to my home.. Doesn't my bank (mortage holder) have any say in this?...Thanks

seniorjudge

rpivending said:
What is the name of your state? New York. I had a judgement awarded against me. What I need to know is that in NY can someone satifsy a judgement by trying to forcefully sell your house when it is co-owned by my spouse who is not part of legal action. I am aware of the wage garnishment, lien, sale of personal property....etc; but my real question was in regards to my home.. Doesn't my bank (mortage holder) have any say in this?...Thanks
If the judgment debtor latches on to your interest in real estate, then it is probably junior to the mortgage. So if I bought your interest from the judgment debtor, I would take it warts and all.

thanks for your response. but from what i gather the bank gets first dibs...but what do you mean if (you) or someone else "buys" the interest...who is selling what here

has anyone ever heard of "tenancy by the entirety"...this sounds like it should cover me if creditor tries to grab house

JETX

rpivending said:
What I need to know is that in NY can someone satifsy a judgement by trying to forcefully sell your house when it is co-owned by my spouse who is not part of legal action.
A filed judgment in New York automatically becomes a lien against any real property owned by the judgment debtor located in the counties where the judgment is filed. Priority of the real property judgment lien will depend on the timing of the filing of the judgment. In other words, the judgment will be subordinate to any previously recorded liens, mortgages, or judgments against the same property and will be superior in interest to any subsequently recorded liens, mortgages, or judgments against the same property.

At any time before a judgment is fully satisfied or vacated, the judgment creditor may compel disclosure of all matters relevant to the satisfaction of the judgment by serving a subpoena on any person requiring attendance for taking a deposition upon oral or written questions and/or requiring the production of books and papers for examination. A judgment creditor has 20 years running from the date of entry of the judgment, or the date of subsequent payments on the judgment, whichever is later, to enforce collection of the judgment. In the case of real property judgment liens, enforcement must be concluded within 10 years from the date of the judgment, unless extended for an additional 10-year period by order of the court prior to the expiration of the first 10-year period.

Doesn't my bank (mortage holder) have any say in this?
Yep. If the property is forced into sale to enforce the judgment, your mortgage company will get the first proceeds up to the value of their mortgage. Remaining proceeds (if any) go to lien holders (if any). And finally, any left over amounts go to you.

JETX

rpivending said:
what does the following mean:
tenancy by the entirety......?
tenancy by the entirety
n. joint ownership of title by husband and wife, in which both have the right to the entire property, and, upon the death of one, the other has title (right of survivorship). Tenancy by the entirety is used in many states and is analogous to "community property" in the seven states which recognize that type of property ownership.

so if i am correct a judgement involving me soley(which is the case)....and since my wife has a 100% say in home it cannot be included in a forced sale but can be included in a lien....yes

seniorjudge

rpivending said:
so if i am correct a judgement involving me soley(which is the case)....and since my wife has a 100% say in home it cannot be included in a forced sale but can be included in a lien....yes
If you and your wife purchased the property as husband and wife in a bona fide purchase and your state recognizes tenancy by the entirety, then nothing (except a Federal tax lien) can force the sale when there is a lien against just one of the tenants.

There could be exceptions in your state.

Talk to a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">