• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgement Collection Procedures

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


My question here has 2 parts:

1) My fiance' recently had a judgement placed on her for an old debt to a landlord. The situation was that she had lived in the apt for 7 years and was simply moving out. She had not only kept the apartment in immaculate condition but she layed down a new floor, installed all new fixtures (doorknobs, etc) repainted the apartment and retiled the bathroom. The landlord approved all of these improvements at the time, further stating that the apartment looked much better than when she moved in. A bout a year or so later,she was forced to move out rather quickly due to extenuating circumstances. She gave 2 weeks notice which was as much as she could give. When she moved out the landlord said that they wee renovating all of the apartments and that renovations would take approximately 2 months, so even thouh she was moving out, she would be charged rent for those 2 months of renovations because they couldn't rent out the apt. That was 3 years ago. She was trying to fight it but to no avail. Is that legal?

2) Now there is a judgement against her and a lien on her bank account. She had to call the law firm that it was referred to several times to finally set up an agreed upon amount so they wouldn't levy her account further. An amount was agreed upon and paperwork sent to her with those terms listed. Recently she got a statement that did not reflect that the agreed upon amount was credited. She called the firm and they told her that there is a 10 percent fee (They called it something but I forgot what)for the subpeona and administering the lien on her account. They are also charging her 15% interest on the amount due. None of these things were listed in the paperwork she recieved. Can they do that?



Senior Member
My response:

Jeter, you might have more luck with your post if you put it in the "Real Estate - Landlord / Tenant Issues" Board. Just cut and paste it.

Also, you need to tell us which State is involved so that a Contributor can research the particular laws involved.

Good luck to you.


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential