• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgement Holder put a lien on a vehicle's title?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hulu

What is the name of your state? UT

Can a Judgement holder put a a lien on a vehicle's title so the person can't sell the car without a free and clear title?

I know this is typically used by banks who lend money for cars but can it also be used for a judgement holder?

Thanks.

adjusterjack

This is about your eighth thread on the subject.

My guess is no, as there is a court process in place for levying a vehicle.

Levying a vehicle (or any other personal property) involves, but may not be limited to:

Court fees.
Sheriff's fees.
Towing fees, if necessary.
Storage fees until sold.
Auction fees and/or commission.

Worse, Utah exempts $3000 of car equity and if there is a loan balance it would have to be paid after the fees are covered. If there is not enough to pay the loan balance, you pay it. That adds to your expenses.

Unless the car is paid for and has substantial value you could be engaging in a costly risk

Got any more ideas you want to try out on us.

Hulu

This is about your eighth thread on the subject.

My guess is no, as there is a court process in place for levying a vehicle.

Levying a vehicle (or any other personal property) involves, but may not be limited to:

Court fees.
Sheriff's fees.
Towing fees, if necessary.
Storage fees until sold.
Auction fees and/or commission.

Worse, Utah exempts $3000 of car equity and if there is a loan balance it would have to be paid after the fees are covered. If there is not enough to pay the loan balance, you pay it. That adds to your expenses.

Unless the car is paid for and has substantial value you could be engaging in a costly risk

Got any more ideas you want to try out on us.
I don't know what you mad about, this is the first time I asked a question about a car lien on a title.

Why a guess? You don't know the answer?

Also, guy travels the country and have no stable residence while using fake post office box for mailing.

Finding the car may not ben an option for you but a lien on the title is an obtaining thing assuming its legal.

I know its not the standard way of doing things but most people are not living like the fugitive.

How about this, do you know for a fact that it can't be done?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't know what you mad about, this is the first time I asked a question about a car lien on a title.

Also, guy travels the country and have no stable residence while using fake post office box for mailing.

Finding the car may not ben an option for you but a lien on the title is an obtaining thing assuming its legal.

I know its not the standard way of doing things but most people are not living like the fugitive.

Please keep your related questions in one of your prior threads.

doucar

AdjustorJack described how you lien a car in Utah. Go for it. There is no other way to put a lien on the title, without his cooperation.

quincy

Please refrain from starting multiple threads on the same topic.

Have you tried to locate an attorney in your area for a personal review of your various and assorted legal issues?

Hulu

Please refrain from starting multiple threads on the same topic.

Have you tried to locate an attorney in your area for a personal review of your various and assorted legal issues?

Well, I think you closed my original thread so posting on it is impossible.

Secondly this exactly question has never been asked before or at least not on this forum.

Third, no one seem to know the answer. I'm not sure if that is the reason for the hostility.

If you don't know the answer, attack the person posting it for asking it in the first place.

I would very much like to get an answer to this question. Attorney does not really know the law, just going though the motions.

quincy

Well, I think you closed my original thread so posting on it is impossible.

Secondly this exactly question has never been asked before or at least not on this forum.

Third, no one seem to know the answer. I'm not sure if that is the reason for the hostility.

If you don't know the answer, attack the person posting it for asking it in the first place.

I would very much like to get an answer to this question. Attorney does not really know the law, just going though the motions.
It was answered. See post number 3.

Zigner

Attorney does not really know the law, just going though the motions.
Wait...
You HAVE an attorney who is familiar with all the aspects of your case, yet you think random, ignorant strangers on the internet will give you better information?
If you don't like your attorney, then hire a different attorney. It's ridiculous to think that we'll be able to give better advice than a legal professional who is representing you in this matter.

Hulu

It was answered. See post number 3.
He speak of a levy not a lien and said that he guess No.

"Guess" would imply that he does not know the answer and just throwing out a random answer.

Are you saying his guess of no was correct?

I know its not the standard operating procedure and maybe out of the norm however so is trying to find someone with a new address every few months who uses PO boxes type services almost exclusively for mail delivery.

Zigner

"Guess" would imply that he does not know the answer and just throwing out a random answer.

I know its not the standard operating procedure and maybe out of the norm however so is trying to find someone with a new address every few months who uses PO boxes type services almost exclusively for mail delivery.
Maybe you could start snapping some upskirts...you might find him that way.

quincy

Everyone who responds on this forum will be answering based only on the information provided. Because no one here has access to all of the facts, for an answer better than a “guess,” seek out an attorney in your own jurisdiction for a personal review. If you don’t trust your attorney, find another one.

Collecting on a judgment is almost always going to be harder than getting the judgment. If the judgment is a sizable one, you can turn it over to a professional debt collection agency.

doucar

As I wrote, no. automobile liens are voluntary liens, judgment liens are involuntary liens. There is no way to put an involuntary lien on an automobile. Except through a judgment levy. There is that definitive enough for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">