• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

jurisdiction?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luckymom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL and/or TX

I hope someone can help me figure this out! Seven years ago, I relocated with my daughter from TX to IL. This was done with the permission of the TX court. Two years after that my ex sued me for custody. The case was initially heard in the TX court, but the TX judge signed off for IL to take the case. That case was heard in IL (Cook County), and I prevailed. Subsequently I wanted a child support review. I asked my IL lawyer where I should file and was told in IL but TX rules for calculating support would apply. The latter actually didn't matter because TX and IL use the same formula (20% of non-custodial parent's income.) So child support case and my case for non-payment of some medical expenses was heard here in IL. I got a ruling for the arrears and child support was raised.

Flash forward three years to the present. A couple of weeks ago, I got an angry e-mail from my ex regarding my filing something in Texas. I didn't know what he was talking about and was busy at work and so just let it hang. Then yesterday I was served with papers that said the state of Texas was suing me over jurisdiction of my daughter's case. I called ex and we agreed that we are happy with where things stand and neither of us wants to go to court. We are supposed to appear in Travis County, where neither of us has lived for more than seven years.

Is there anything we can do? I am at a loss to understand why the overburdened Attorney General's office is taking this up, given that neither ex nor myself are interested in going back to court. He pays on time. Daughter is 15 and we only have a few more years to go so I don't want to shake things up since ex is unlikely to be making more than he was a couple of years ago.

jumac

at a guess i would say that when the tx judge signed over the custody case it was just for custody not cs. While you your att and IL thogh it was for both. Now TX is saying that it still has control over it and is trying to get it back.

luckymom

No, never on any kind of support.

I just got off the phone the TX AG office, which was completely unhelpful. No one could tell me why the case was filed. What happens if I don't show up?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">