• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just within the law?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



A couple of months ago I filed a report on my father for making purchases in my name and putting bills in my name. The police didn't have enough evidence to get my case past the DA. Besides the bills themselves, what else is needed? Is there a statute of limitations for this? I'm in NC.

The poor policemen weren't ever sure what exactly to call it to start with and finally decided, with the help of the higher powers that be, to call it ID theft and fraud.

The bills are three years old and I have already tried to get copies of a signature without any luck. Any ideas?

"It is important that students bring a certain ragamuffin, barefoot, irreverence to their studies; they are not here to worship what is known, but to question it."
-Jacob Chanowski



I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

It is not only stolen identity and theft and fraud, but forgery. Larceny perhaps, too.

It is both criminal and civil suit. ASAP you need to get a criminal attorney who may then bring in a civil/transactional attorney to help with the civil restitution.

Try attorneypages.com or your state bar.

Hope this helps.



What are my chances with just the bills for proof without the actual forged signature?

I can't seem to get copies of the actual signature. Also, the bills are going in my name c/o this person to his address. The post office says this is a civil thing and can't forward the mail to me because of it. I would think this is mail fraud but I keep being told it isn't by the local post master. Should I go higher?



File a mail forwarding order for 'individual only' form his box to yours. Don't mention any of the other stuff. Once you've got all the info, contact the credit companies & demand they close the accounts & send full accountings from day one to you so you can protest each & every charge. Also, if they don't show you a signature, they can't try to collect the bill.

If the PO won't do anything, sue the guy and request an injunction requiring him to instruct the PO to forward any mail in your name to you. If that doesn't work, start taking the mail addressed to you out of his mailbox. this is technically OK, since your name's on it.

This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential