• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

juvenile stole my car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dnlock

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

I should say that I assume the juvenile stole my car. I live next to a foster home, this morning my car was gone, and so was the newest foster kid from next door.
The car has not been recovered. And no one has seen the missing kid. This child was placed at this foster home on Thursday.

I know that at this point since we don't have the car back, there is no telling if we will get it back, and if we do, what kind of condition it will be in.

But, from what I understand from the foster mother, this is a child who's parents are "unavalible", possibly illegal immigrants. The child is suppost to be in court Monday morning for criminal trespass and theft from another case.

Now, seeing as how there are no accountable parents that can be held responsible, and this child was a ward of the state when he stole my car (if he stole my car, can't PROVE that yet), is there anything that I can do? Is there any way for me to recover my losses?

dnlock

Ah, yes, that has been taken care of, should have mentioned, that I only carry liability ins. on that vehicle.

weenor

state agencies and their employees enjoy immunity in carrying out their discretionary duties. You probably do not have any recourse against the state. I doubt you would against the foster parents either unless you can establish that they had legal duty to you as their neighbor and breached that duty. Contact a local lawyer on Monday.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
dnlock said:
Ah, yes, that has been taken care of, should have mentioned, that I only carry liability ins. on that vehicle.
Then you're likely screwed. Sorry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">