• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Keeping My Purchase Private

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SallyX

What is the name of your state? FL
I am buying a single family residential property to be used as a rental. I'll be buying it cash, so there is no lender involved. (Both the property and I are located in Florida, if it matters).
I want to keep my business mine and not enable anyone and everyone to know I own a particular property. How is this best done? Instead of putting my name on title, do I use an LLC? A trust? Any advice is appreciated.
In addition to privacy concerns, what about asset protection? Are they one and the same, and can both issues be addressed when buying? Thank you.

nextwife

You certainly CAN own it under an LLC, but LLC records are public as to who the registered agent is. Additionally., many communities now have enacted various Landlord registration ordinances that require contact information for all rental properties, so the code enforcement personel know who to contact for code violations, drug activity, or other nuisance reporting.

Unlike personal property that simply sits in your house or garage doing nothing, REAL property does not exist in a vacuum. Especially rental property. The tenants and aspects of the property can impact, even endanger, the neighbors. Communities have the right to know who to contact if there are issues that are problematic.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">