• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

KS Gun Laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I am asking, not arguing.

Given that the repo man was involved in lawful activity (for the purpose of my question, let's take it for granted that he was), is there ANY state where pointing a gun at him would not be a crime of some sort? Don't even stand-your-ground or castle-doctrine states require illegal activity?

quincy

I am asking, not arguing.

Given that the repo man was involved in lawful activity (for the purpose of my question, let's take it for granted that he was), is there ANY state where pointing a gun at him would not be a crime of some sort? Don't even stand-your-ground or castle-doctrine states require illegal activity?
The illegal activity could be pointing the gun, putting someone in fear for their safety.

I don't understand your question. :)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'll restate the question.

In what, if any, states would it be legal to point a gun at the repo man, as long as we assume that the repo man was engaged in legal activity?

quincy

I'll restate the question.

In what, if any, states would it be legal to point a gun at the repo man, as long as we assume that the repo man was engaged in legal activity?
No state, to my knowledge.

It would be considered "assault" (or a state variation) to point a gun at a person who had a legal reason to be where he was.

This is assuming the repo man did not have to open any gate or garage to hook up the vehicle.

I suppose the neighbor could try to claim "self defense" if the repo man pointed a gun at him, though. But apparently the gun was used to stop a dog attack and was not pointed at the homeowner.

FlyingRon

Kansas "Castle" doctrine requires entry into the domicile. The law allows use of force against other unlawful acts, which this doesn't appear to be. Someone repoing a car that's in the open or waving a gun at a dog, is NOT an unlawful act. As I said there's no "brandishing" statute. If you do something with your gun that makes another fear he will be harmed, that's aggravated assault.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Don't know if you're responding to me, Ron, but I understand that the repo man was legal and I understand why the act with the gun was criminal. What I was trying to determine was whether there were any circumstances, assuming the same legal act by the repo man, that the act with the gun would not be criminal.

quincy

Don't know if you're responding to me, Ron, but I understand that the repo man was legal and I understand why the act with the gun was criminal. What I was trying to determine was whether there were any circumstances, assuming the same legal act by the repo man, that the act with the gun would not be criminal.
It could be a defense (possibly in Texas :)) for a homeowner to point a gun at a repo man if the homeowner believed the repo man was a car thief.

Reactions: cbg

LdiJ

It could be a defense (possibly in Texas :)) for a homeowner to point a gun at a repo man if the homeowner believed the repo man was a car thief.
I have another question. The repo man did have a gun pulled. If the homeowner did not realize that the gun was only pointed at the dog and was actually in fear for his own life, wouldn't that make a difference? I also think that a repo man is crazy to carry a gun. That just escalates an already tense situation.

quincy

I have another question. The repo man did have a gun pulled. If the homeowner did not realize that the gun was only pointed at the dog and was actually in fear for his own life, wouldn't that make a difference? I also think that a repo man is crazy to carry a gun. That just escalates an already tense situation.
Repo guys are probably smart to carry guns. I imagine it is not the safest of occupations.

I suppose the homeowner if charged with assault for pointing a gun at the repo man could use self-defense as a defense. Although an argument could be made that he (and his dog) should have remained inside and called the police instead, this if he really believed his car was being stolen rather than repo-ed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">