• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

KY alcohol consumption by child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

helpmesj

What is the name of your state? KY

I live in a different state, where it is illegal to give a minor alcohol. My ex husband lives in KY. We have joint custody with me being listed as primary residential custodian. He gave our 14 year old alcohol on several occasions and allowed our child to get drunk. That is not okay with me as alcoholism runs in my family and therefore we avoid alcohol. Even though technically it’s legal in KY for a parent to give it, would a judge to order it to stop?Is that not “contributing to the delinquency of a minor”?

LdiJ

I live in a different state, where it is illegal to give a minor alcohol. My ex husband lives in KY. We have joint custody with me being listed as primary residential custodian. He gave our 14 year old alcohol on several occasions and allowed our child to get drunk. That is not okay with me as alcoholism runs in my family and therefore we avoid alcohol. Even though technically it’s legal in KY for a parent to give it, would a judge to order it to stop?Is that not “contributing to the delinquency of a minor”?
Yes, its quite possible that a judge would order it to stop. Particularly since your family runs to alcoholics. However, there is also a theory out there, that says that if teens are allowed to drink, in controlled circumstances, that they are less likely to drink as adults.

For example, in Italy there is no real drinking age. Therefore young people are exposed to at least wine (or watered down wine) at a fairly young age. Most of the people that I knew in Italy really didn't drink at all, except for perhaps a small amount of wine at meals.

I operated that way with my daughter, and now, as an adult, if she has more than two or three drinks a year, it would surprise me.

If the above is your ex's intention, to take the mystery out of drinking, then it might be possible for him to convince a judge that since its legal in KY, that it is acceptable.

helpmesj

Yes, its quite possible that a judge would order it to stop. Particularly since your family runs to alcoholics. However, there is also a theory out there, that says that if teens are allowed to drink, in controlled circumstances, that they are less likely to drink as adults.

For example, in Italy there is no real drinking age. Therefore young people are exposed to at least wine (or watered down wine) at a fairly young age. Most of the people that I knew in Italy really didn't drink at all, except for perhaps a small amount of wine at meals.

I operated that way with my daughter, and now, as an adult, if she has more than two or three drinks a year, it would surprise me.

If the above is your ex's intention, to take the mystery out of drinking, then it might be possible for him to convince a judge that since its legal in KY, that it is acceptable.
That makes sense. I could see that logic.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

No it is not. He is abiding by the law in KY. In what state is the court order? How do you know your child was drunk?

LdiJ

After a drink or two, I get really tired...sometimes I even fall asleep
I may have told this story before. When my daughter was 5 years old we attended a wedding in Rome. It was really cool, it was held in a chapel in the ruins of the Forum, and the reception was a 7 course meal at a restaurant that catered to residents of Rome rather than tourists.

At one point the waiters served champagne to everyone, and I had turned around in my chair to watch the bride and groom while that was going on. They served my 5 year old daughter a glass, which she promptly chugged. She decided she liked it so much that she then grabbed my glass and chugged, and then grabbed her grandmother's glass and chugged. She went to the bathroom six times during that reception and then fell asleep. I was a little irritated that they served her, but my mother in law explained that it was tradition. The problem was the fact that we both had our backs to the table when it happened.

zddoodah

I live in a different state, where it is illegal to give a minor alcohol.
What state would that be?

Even though technically it’s legal in KY for a parent to give it, would a judge to order it to stop?
No judge in any state is going to condone giving a 14-year old so much alcohol that the child gets drunk. That said, if the only evidence you have about this is the child's testimony, you may have an uphill battle.

Is that not “contributing to the delinquency of a minor”?
Kentucky does not appear to recognize a crime called "contributing to the delinquency of a minor." It has a law called "Endangering welfare of a minor," but what you described would not violate that law.

I would suggest you consult with a Kentucky family law attorney about the possibility of having the existing decree/order modified.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">