• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

L-1 visa requirements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmn0548

What is the name of your state? Applying to Texas

Hello, Lana and whomever else

I was in the US, on my OPT. However my company I worked for in the states wanted to open a branch office here in UAE. I came here to Dubai, and I am now working in their branch. I plan on applying for my L-1 visa in a year or so, and I would have to go to the consulate in Dubai or Abu Dhabi.

I have read that you are not required to show proof that you have ties in your local country. Quote""Dual Intent" allowed: Unlike some classes of non-immigrant visas, L-1 applicants may not be denied a visa on the basis that they are an intending immigrant to the United States, or that they do not have a residence abroad which they do not intend to abandon."

In that light, what documents should I take to the consulate usually? I am assuming proof that the company and their branch is legit (articles of incorporation, bank statements, employer letter, detailed job responsibilities)

Do these supporting documents sound right? What other personal documents might be wanted by the consulate officer? My Degree Certificate (from a US college)?

Thanks,

ImmigAttyLana

Before you can go to the Consulate and get a L-1 visa, the employer in the US has to file a petition on your behalf that is approved. Then only once that happens are you able to go to the Consulate and get the visa on the basis of the approval notice.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or how I can be of further assistance to you in this matter.

cmn0548

Lana,

Thank you for your helpful reply.

I was on OPT in 2007, applied for my h1-b that year and got rejected in the lottery. After my OPT i continued my education by applying for an associates in Networking. I obtained a new i20 and started school in spring of 08.

Within a period of a semester (spring 08) the company I worked for on my OPT asked me to travel international and work for their established branch there with the benefit of coming back on L1 in two years.

So I left the states, with a valid i-20. I was in status the entire time. My question is,:

a) would the application of my H-1b and rejection in the lottery keep me from obtaining my L1 at the consulate here?
b) Is there consequences to the process of acquiring my L1 because I left the states on a valid i-20, without finishing my degree, for two years?

Thank you for your great input Lana and all, your responses have helped me make very important decisions.

cmn0548

hey guys, just wanna know if anyone can help me out with the questions above.

I very much appreciate all the help given to me so far by everyone here.

Thanks again,

cmn0548

Thank you Lana,

I really appreciate the input. I do fall into the category of L1-A visa, but I didn't know if these two points would give me a negative feedback during application and stamping in the consulate. :eek:

Thanks again Lana, you are doing a amazing job keeping up with these questions :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">