• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laid off because of job title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

Wandering

I was hired as a programmer analyst at a financial services company. Since I had not worked for several years I acceptd a lower salary than the salary specified for programmer analyst. After a year the company lowered my job title to programmer II without notifying me. When I complained Huaman Resources said they lowered my job title to match my salary. After I continued to complained they laid me off. Do I have any legal recourse? I am an Asiam female, 59 years old.

F

Former HR Guy

It sounds as if there may have been an underlying performance problem with your work as programmers are in desparate short supply, and most companies do anythingto keep them happy, especially big financial services company.

If it is a personality problem, the best grounds would be if they did something inconsistent with the big fat HR manuals they all have.

While you are in a protected class in terms of age, sex and race, that doesn't mean a lot unless they discriminated against you. I can't tell that based on the facts you gave so far.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">