• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Land Contract/Owner Financing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY

I need to know how to go about selling my home on contract.

I currently pay mortgage, taxes, and insurance in one payment.

If I sell the house on contract, would the buyer's then be responsible for taxes and insurance just like they would if buying from the bank?

And if so, how can I be sure that the buyers are indeed maintaining homeowner's insurance and paying the taxes?

LindaP777

I would recomend selling your house on a lease with option to purchase (my preferred method) or owner financed.
Keep the deed in your name (because eviction if faster and cheaper than a foreclosure) until they close.
You pay the mortage taxes & insurance (so you know that they are paid).

nextwife

If I sell the house on contract, would the buyer's then be responsible for taxes and insurance just like they would if buying from the bank?

And if so, how can I be sure that the buyers are indeed maintaining homeowner's insurance and paying the taxes?
You HAVE a mortgage? Unless you either have a mortgage without a due on sale, OR you intend to pay off the mortgage before you owner finance ot do an LC, it would not be allowable to transfer the property to another party. Owner financing is not allowed when the underlying mortgage prohibits it.

HomeGuru

**A: if the mortgage lender approves of the sale, the monthly contract payment should include the interest (and principal if any) AND the real property taxes and insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">