• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Land lord ignoring me for 5 months now

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Murdock55

I am living in Florida. I have called code enforcement, and sent the letter giving her notice of my intention to with hold rent till they fix the problems. I sent the letter registered and certified with a return receipt. She won't pick it up. After 15 days the letter comes back. I am disabled, do not have the money to resend the letter. I will be able to borrow it and resend it. Should I just put the returned envelope in another one and resend. This person is trying to take advantage of me because I can not afford an attorney. I have never paid my rent late but I do not want to give this person one red cent till these things are fixed. I really need an attorney bad to help me. What kind of attorney do I try to find and how can they help me if I do not have the money? I have tried legal aid, but only qualify for 30 minutes to tell me what my rights are. Those rights and advice are on their website. Also the office is about an hour away. I do not have the money to even get there.

applecruncher

Can’t you (or someone on your behalf) contact the county Rent Escrow office and proceed to deposit your rent into escrow? You only have to have copy of a letter (not necessarily certified) to landlord giving him/her 30 days to make the specific repairs, then your rent is deposited with the court until all repairs are made. After that, the court notifies your landlord. Usually this lights a fire under the landlord, and no attorney is necessary.

What specific items need repaired?

Andy0192

IF THE LANDLORD DOES NOT COMPLY

* If your landlord has failed to comply with the previous listed code responsibilities,
and has ignored your request to undo their unlawful action, you can contact The
Code Enforcement Branch of city or county in which you reside and
request that they contact your landlord and explain that their action is illegal and
violates your local code.

* If your landlord fails to do what the law or lease requires, you may be able to
withhold the rent. You must give notice of your intention by certified mail at
least seven days before the rent is due to allow time for the landlord to remedy
the problem. If the problem is not corrected within seven days and you withhold
the rent the landlord may take you to court to collect it.
You must them pay the
rent into the court registry pending the judges determination of the case.

* Always call the Consumer Affairs Division in your city or county regarding your landlord/tenant rights before withholding rent!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">