• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord and tenant harassment nyc rent stabilized building

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

New York
I am a woman who lives alone, has no friends or relatives and lives in a rent stabilized apartment. I have a mental illness and have not been under care for some time. I have made excess noise in my apartment, mostly only during the first month or so that I have lived there. My landlord has been very unprofessional and disrespectful from the time I met him. One of my neighbors had called 911 on two separate occasions making false accusations about me. I have kept detailed logs of everything that has happened. I have a video doorbell and there are video cameras in the hallway. Recently, because I opened my apartment door and said loudly when I was in my apartment to shut a dog up that consistently barks and I had opened my other door not even talking to any of the neighbors, only to myself, one of my neighbors starting screaming and some other neighbor started screaming and threatening me with some sort of weapon. I have informed the landlord by text on more than one occasion of what was happening and he “twisted things around on me” just like the neighbors did. I literally have done nothing to any of the tenants there and it’s illegal for me to be discriminated against because I have a mental illness. I don’t feel stable and safe there because I have been harassed threatened and bullied. I would really appreciate any advice on ways I can protect myself legally. The landlord has said very strange unprofessional and disrespectful things to me, from the time I moved into this apartment. On top of everything, I’m stressed and overwhelmed being all alone and I am not working. I can’t afford to lose this apartment since I am not working and would not have a landlord reference. And I have this beautiful cat that was recently rescued that I love so much and I don’t want to lose him either.

quincy

New York
I am a woman who lives alone, has no friends or relatives and lives in a rent stabilized apartment. I have a mental illness and have not been under care for some time. I have made excess noise in my apartment, mostly only during the first month or so that I have lived there. My landlord has been very unprofessional and disrespectful from the time I met him. One of my neighbors had called 911 on two separate occasions making false accusations about me. I have kept detailed logs of everything that has happened. I have a video doorbell and there are video cameras in the hallway. Recently, because I opened my apartment door and said loudly when I was in my apartment to shut a dog up that consistently barks and I had opened my other door not even talking to any of the neighbors, only to myself, one of my neighbors starting screaming and some other neighbor started screaming and threatening me with some sort of weapon. I have informed the landlord by text on more than one occasion of what was happening and he “twisted things around on me” just like the neighbors did. I literally have done nothing to any of the tenants there and it’s illegal for me to be discriminated against because I have a mental illness. I don’t feel stable and safe there because I have been harassed threatened and bullied. I would really appreciate any advice on ways I can protect myself legally. The landlord has said very strange unprofessional and disrespectful things to me, from the time I moved into this apartment. On top of everything, I’m stressed and overwhelmed being all alone and I am not working. I can’t afford to lose this apartment since I am not working and would not have a landlord reference. And I have this beautiful cat that was recently rescued that I love so much and I don’t want to lose him either.
First, why haven’t you been under care in a long time for your mental illness?

The fact that you have a mental illness does not give you the right to disturb the peace or alarm your neighbors.

Here is a link that has resources you might find helpful:
https://omh.ny.gov

I am glad you have a cat as a companion.

Last edited:
I had already contacted that website, even called them for something in the past that I, as anyone else should have been helped with, but they did not help at all. The fact is, don’t take this personally, but that comment you made was extremely ignorant as you don’t know me or what it’s like to have a mental illness. When a person has a mental illness, their symptoms that affect them or anyone else are not on purpose. Also at least two of my neighbors have done criminal things against me and from what they have displayed may have a mental illness themselves that needs to be taken care of.

quincy

... The fact is, don’t take this personally, but that comment you made was extremely ignorant as you don’t know me or what it’s like to have a mental illness. ...
The fact is - and don’t take this personally but - your comment is extremely ignorant as you don’t know me or what I know about mental illness.

You are here asking for help. My advice is that you get treatment for your mental illness before you lose your rental. You probably also will need to find a job to cover the cost of rent.

Having a mental illness does not in itself protect you from eviction. You still cannot disturb the other tenants and you cannot fail to pay your rent.

In my opinion, the best way for you to keep your rental (and your cat) is to address the apparent underlying problem which, based on what you have said, does not appear to be the complaints by the landlord or the other tenants. The underlying problem instead appears to be your behavior which is leading to the complaints by the landlord and the tenants.

I am not unsympathetic. You obviously are struggling.

zddoodah

it’s illegal for me to be discriminated against because I have a mental illness.
That's not true. It might be illegal for someone to discriminate against you because of your mental illness, but most discrimination is perfectly legal, and having a mental illness does not protect you against otherwise legal discrimination.

I would really appreciate any advice on ways I can protect myself legally.
You haven't given us any facts to go on, so there's no way for anyone to provide any informed feedback. For example, you told us that your "landlord has been very unprofessional and disrespectful," but what does that mean? What exactly did he do? Also, there's nothing illegal about being rude.

I suggest you seek a local organization that provides legal and other assistance for low-income persons.

at least two of my neighbors have done criminal things against me
Alleged crimes should be reported to the police.

Eekamouse

New York
What were the false accusations the neighbors made about you?
Do you think it's okay to open your door and then "talk to yourself" but loud enough for your neighbors to hear you and say nasty things to upset them? I doubt you'd like it if they did the same to you.

I did not even bother to read all of your response. I did not join this forum to have people patronize me, talk to me like they know me or my life, or know what has happened where I live, know what the neighbors and my landlord did to me I also did not join this forum for sympathy. This is an advice forum where people should have normal and respectful written communication with eachother.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I did not even bother to read all of your response. I did not join this forum to have people patronize me, talk to me like they know me or my life, or know what has happened where I live, know what the neighbors and my landlord did to me I also did not join this forum for sympathy. This is an advice forum where people should have normal and respectful written communication with eachother.
I wish you the best of luck and hope you have a magical day.

quincy

We only know what you tell us.

Please read the information in the links provided. If you believe you have a legal action to pursue that we cannot see from what you have told us, perhaps you can find someone who will listen to your full tale at one of the New York State legal aid/landlord-tenant clinics (or mental health clinics) listed for your area.

Good luck.

zddoodah

I did not even bother to read all of your response.
That's just plain dumb.

I did not join this forum to have people patronize me, talk to me like they know me or my life
No one did that.

or know what has happened where I live, know what the neighbors and my landlord did to me. . . . This is an advice forum
And how exactly do you expect anyone to offer advice if we don't "know what has happened . . . [or] what the neighbors and [your] landlord did to [you]"? It's incumbent on you to tell us what happened. You didn't do that. All you did was make conclusory allegations.

GIGO

Litigator22

I had already contacted that website, even called them for something in the past that I, as anyone else should have been helped with, but they did not help at all. The fact is, don’t take this personally, but that comment you made was extremely ignorant as you don’t know me or what it’s like to have a mental illness. When a person has a mental illness, their symptoms that affect them or anyone else are not on purpose. Also at least two of my neighbors have done criminal things against me and from what they have displayed may have a mental illness themselves that needs to be taken care of.
I can't speak with authority, but my limited observations are that people that are truly nuts don't know that they are nuts. Consequently, they lack motive to bandying about that they are nuts. Some important contrasting literary/cinematic examples follow.

Sane, but feigning insanity. Proclaiming insanity yet admitting to a dreaded fear of combat flying was the downfall of "Captain Yossarian" - the protagonist in Joseph Heller's ultra-famous novel "Catch-22".

[Flight Surgeon to Yossarian: "I can't ground you simply because of your aversion to flying combat. You'd need to be nuts not to be afraid!" Yossarian to Doc: "That is some Catch-22!" Doc.: "It's the very best!"]

Ergo, if you were truly nuts, you might not be in fear of your neighbors.

Insane, but in denial. As opposed to Yossarian's invented state of mind no sane reader/viewer ever doubted that Jack (no work and no play) Nicholson's character in "The Shining" was not hopelessly mentally deranged, nor that he was conscious of it. (As if anyone would dare ask him.)

Where you fit within or without these two classic literary extremes I won't venture to judge.

(Note: Any perceived similarity between the above insightful jabber and the OP's medical and/or legal issues, if any, is an unintended coincidence.)

Last edited:
I don’t talk to people who either disrespect the mentally I’ll or don’t bother to understand people who have problems and/or are mentally ill. I didn’t bother reading most of your post, none of the posts you wrote were helpful anyway. I’m not even going to bother with this forum anymore I have enough problems and I don’t need a forum where people are here to give advice/help people make my life worse.

And why don’t you spend your time making money in some way you must not have a job since you have time to write ignorant vicious posts. Maybe you have a mental illness. I could tell that whoever you are there’s nothing good about you at all

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don’t talk to people who either disrespect the mentally I’ll or don’t bother to understand people who have problems and/or are mentally ill. I didn’t bother reading most of your post, none of the posts you wrote were helpful anyway. I’m not even going to bother with this forum anymore I have enough problems and I don’t need a forum where people are here to give advice/help people make my life worse.
And she's gone...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">