• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord does not want to give me keys

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LdiJ

A key would have to be provided the landlord ... so the key requires landlord approval.
Let me use different terminology. A locksmith is capable of making a key that fits the current lock, and would match any key that the landlord has in their possession. Yes, it is easier to rekey than to cut a key to match an existing lock, but it can be done.

quincy

Okay. So the landlord will have to change not only the key pad code but also the locks because the tenant made keys to the house.

Last edited:

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Yes it's legal. You should have covered all this before signing the lease and handing over the money.

Since you can get in to the house in any number of ways, just quietly replace the lock on the inside door from the garage. Store the old lock so you can re-install it when you move out. Deadbolt locks are cheap and easy to install.
I like Jack's suggestion -- the LL can easily get in through the front door.

quincy

I still think changing locks without the homeowner’s approval is problematic - but that could be the best of the options available.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
I still think changing locks without the homeowner’s approval is problematic - but that could be the best of the options available.
My thinking is this: the LL would be MOST likely to enter through the front door and would never even know that there was a change (as long as OP reinstalled the original deadbolt). Not ideal, but sounds like this LL isn't exactly ideal, either. :-D

LdiJ

My thinking is this: the LL would be MOST likely to enter through the front door and would never even know that there was a change (as long as OP reinstalled the original deadbolt). Not ideal, but sounds like this LL isn't exactly ideal, either. :-D
Its a good idea but they won't be able to get into the garage to access the inner door if the power goes out.

quincy

suji104 should try to work out the key situation directly with the landlord/owner and/or speak to a landlord/tenant attorney to see if there is a way to break the lease without penalty. I don’t think it smart to alter the owner’s property in any way.

That is an admirable sentiment. They would not have the option to enter if there was no force. They could have a locksmith turned out and make a key to the front entryway deadbolt.

quincy

That is an admirable sentiment. They would not have the option to enter if there was no force. They could have a locksmith turned out and make a key to the front entryway deadbolt.
It is the door from the garage to the house that seems to be the main issue here.

LdiJ

It is the door from the garage to the house that seems to be the main issue here.
That JohnHazelwood guy that you replied to has been posting to both older and newer threads both here and down the street...and its always something fairly vague.

quincy

That JohnHazelwood guy that you replied to has been posting to both older and newer threads both here and down the street...and its always something fairly vague.
johnhazelwood already has been reported here as someone “most likely to spam.” :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">