• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord Fully Executed binding lease showing $0.00 rent payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?Georgia

My Landlord had me and my GF resign a lease on 7/3/18. The woman in the office showed us each page and asked us to sign . We signed and management also signed the lease. Two days later the manager sent me a copy of our signed lease stating it was the new lease going forward. At the time I didn’t pay any attention to the rent amount on the lease so I filed it away. My girlfriend did see the rent amount on the lease showed $0.00 lease payment due from 11/17/17 through 3/19/19. I am running late on my September lease payment and my land lord has filed a dispossession claim with the magistrate court seeking eviction due to unpaid rent. I pulled out my lease and realized the document states $0.00 due for the entire lease period and my GF commented that she didn’t know I had paid rent for July and August because our lease stated $0.00 due for the entire lease period. My question is: Can I enter the current binding lease signed on 7/3 into evidence at my dispossession hearing and counter sue for refund of all rent I’ve paid since 11/17/17 through August 2018 and not be charged rent from Sept 2018 through March 19. 2019 . The date the lease ends. The landlord has been very quick to. Push me out of my home of nearly 4 years when they have given other tenants in the complex well over 30 days to pay without eviction filings.

You: I want to know if I can enforce the lease stating $0.00 due from 7/17/17 through 3/19/19 to get the land lord to refund all lease payment made up to sept of this year and also stay in the lease through its expiration on 3/19/19 with $0.00 rent per month.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This was a clerical error. The fact that you actually PAID rent for that period shows that you know you owe rent. The best you could hope for is that the contract would be considered invalid, at which point you would be considered a month-to-month tenant who is still liable for rent. Pay what you owe and pay it on time and you won't have these problems.

HRZ

Retired LLs view , not in your state .... likely you can NOT roll back anything .. but if you cure the present eviction complaint you may be able to extend your lease exactly as it is written and make your LL jump thru hoops to establish the correct rate ...clearly nobody intended to strike a deal at $ 0.0 ...but the LL and his agent created the problem . What you had been paying is one measure of what might be intended. A rent increase is problematic for LL

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Retired LLs view , not in your state .... likely you can NOT roll back anything .. but if you cure the present eviction complaint you may be able to extend your lease exactly as it is written and make your LL jump thru hoops to establish the correct rate ...clearly nobody intended to strike a deal at $ 0.0 ...but the LL and his agent created the problem . What you had been paying is one measure of what might be intended. A rent increase is problematic for LL
This was a simple clerical error. No reasonable person anywhere would assume that a monthly rental rate of $0 on a rental contract is correct, particularly when coupled with the OP's continued payment of the actual rent amount.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">