• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord is offering $13k to move out by December 15th, don't want to leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pithetaerus

Los Angeles, CA: I've been living in my apartment for almost 6 years and recently found out it's an illegal subdivision. It's listed as a single-family home but there are two subdivisions making three apartments. The property has changed hands several times since I've lived here, and the current landlord wants to develop the property (possibly to build condos but I'm not sure). The property manager called me today and offered $13k if I move out by December 15th, or $11k if I take longer. I live in a nice area and similar apartments are $500-$1,000 more per month, so $13k will only last me about a year if I move. I love my apartment and don't want to leave. I haven't been served an official eviction notice, and I have anecdotally heard that people living in illegal subdivisions have been able to live rent-free for decades because the landlord doesn't have legal precedent to evict them. I'm not trying to cheat anybody and would just like to continue living in my apartment. I've read up on the Ellis Act, and am afraid that if the landlord is planning on building condos, I'd be forced to leave.
Do I have any options to stay or should I take the money and accept the fact that I'll have to pay double at a new apartment?

adjusterjack

Do I have any options to stay or should I take the money and accept the fact that I'll have to pay double at a new apartment?
Do you have a lease? How much longer until it expires?

Or are you month to month? Which would only require 60 days notice and you get nothing.

I have anecdotally heard that people living in illegal subdivisions have been able to live rent-free for decades because the landlord doesn't have legal precedent to evict them.
It would be foolish to rely on those anecdotes because if the regulating authorities find out about the illegal apartment, it is they that will be forcing the eviction, very quickly.

Pithetaerus

I would suggest that you take the money and run. You stand to collect a MUCH smaller amount if you don't.
Do you have a lease? How much longer until it expires?

Or are you month to month? Which would only require 60 days notice and you get nothing.

It would be foolish to rely on those anecdotes because if the regulating authorities find out about the illegal apartment, it is they that will be forcing the eviction, very quickly.
I have a lease which turned month to month after the first year (five years ago).

HRZ

IT can sometimes get hyper expensive for a LL to relocate a tenant out of an
" illegal" conversion and sometimes a lot longer than LL would like. My crystal ball won't help....but I might suggest a written counteroffer for a good bit more money and out by 12/31 ...see what happens .

Ultimately LL will get you out ..play your poker hand well !.

adjusterjack

I have a lease which turned month to month after the first year (five years ago).
Then, under CA law, he can give you 60 days written notice and no money.

Can't imagine why he's even offering you anything.

Take the $13,000 and find yourself another place to live. Make sure you get the money in cashier's check before you surrender the apartment and turn in the keys. Keep a bed or some item of furniture until the last day so you have occupancy.

FarmerJ

Your city is going to keep the pressure on the landlord and this is not like a mythological tenant sweepstakes /spin the wheel to see how much you can get . Your LLs offer is not so bad , if you don't take it then your likely to see your LL dig in his /her heels and rescind the offer and still get you out. Even if the unit is not legal , your city is still going to make the LL get you out, you wont be able to milk that cow forever and stay on and on and on like this myth you heard about , in fact in the end if your LL has to take you to court for refusing to move out after being given proper notice to get out , your going to end up with a formal court record that future landlords will be able to use as a reason to refuse to rent to you , the idea would be that if one landlord had to take you to court make you move after being given notice to do so then they may choose to not risk history repeating itself and decline to rent to you. The next landlord might not find out but the one after them sure will .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">