• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord notice to enter in effect forever?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

intriguedbylaw

What is the name of your state? WA
I live in an apartment building. Landlord gave notice to the effect of "we need to enter your apartment for some inspection, starting at 9am on May 11 until all apartments are completed"
They never showed up, and I was on guard the whole day. And since there is no end date/time, the notice is saying they could enter any time/day after May 11?

To be "on guard" means I cannot do certain things. E.g. walk around in underwear, taking nap, etc.

I believe the relevant section of the law is RCW 59.18.150 (6):
"... The notice must state the exact time and date or dates of entry or specify a period of time during that date or dates in which the entry will occur, in which case the notice must specify the earliest and latest possible times of entry."

The landlord didn't specify the latest possible times of entry. But what good is this law, if the landlord can simply say, "we need to enter your apartment from May 11 to May 20 between 7am and 10pm for some inspection". Which is just marginally better than not specifying the start time and end time.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What did they say when you asked them what the hours of inspection would be?

zddoodah

starting at 9am on May 11 until all apartments are completed"
They never showed up, and I was on guard the whole day.
The whole day? You posted at approximately 10:45 a.m. PDT on May 11, and it's now 11:20 a.m. "The whole day" isn't even close to being over.

what good is this law, if the landlord can simply say, "we need to enter your apartment from May 11 to May 20 between 7am and 10pm for some inspection".
Since your landlord didn't do that, it's a pointless question.

The next sentence of the statute you quoted and linked to says, "The notice must also specify the telephone number to which the tenant may communicate any objection or request to reschedule the entry."

That being the case, you called the number, right? What did you say and what response did you receive?

quincy

intriguedbylaw, do you have an interior lock on your apartment door? If so and in the future, simply engage the interior lock and, when the landlord comes knocking, get up from your nap, throw on some clothes, and let the landlord in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">