• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord report false balance owed after I moved

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lisagross5

In January of 2010 I became a resident of an apartment complex in Kansas city North. In the month of March I became delinquent in rent due to loss of employment due to a disability. May of that year they filed for a legal eviction falsely claiming an amount owed. I appealed the eviction and it was overturned in trial-denovo and dismissed with prejudice. In October 2010 I was approved of Social Security disabilty. November 2011 I tried to move due to feeling unsafe in my surroundings due to increased criminal activity in my building of which I reported to hospitals but was unable to move due to the dismissed eviction appearing on my credit report with a balance. They refused to have it removed. I had to go to the courts to have it removed and present the receipt the court gave me when I paid the bond. The judgement prevented me from moving. I was forced to sign another lease because of it. It took me a few moth's to have it removed. I decided to buy a house because of my experience at the apartment complex. 6 months after successfully getting the judgement removed I was approved to buy a home. When I moved from the apartments I had a balance of $535 however they falsely reported the balance to a collection agency that has harassed me financially via credit reporting by reporting a false amount owed claiming it was interest being charged on the account which is not an interest bearing account and gradually over the past 6 years to an amount over $800. I never got my deposit back of which was $250. which leaves my balance owed less than $535 That was turned in to collections 2-3 months after I had moved out in January 2013. I have disputed this balance and account because it's not what I owe and I have disputed it on numerous occasions with the credit bureaus two removed it however I recently disputed it again in the past week when I saw that it had increased again and again not only did they continue to report a false balance owed they increased it. If the apartments had reported the correct balance I would have paid it however they've refused to correct it. This account is being reported on negatively impacting my credit and score and it's been as recent as December 2018

quincy

In January of 2010 I became a resident of an apartment complex in Kansas city North. In the month of March I became delinquent in rent due to loss of employment due to a disability. May of that year they filed for a legal eviction falsely claiming an amount owed. I appealed the eviction and it was overturned in trial-denovo and dismissed with prejudice. In October 2010 I was approved of Social Security disabilty. November 2011 I tried to move due to feeling unsafe in my surroundings due to increased criminal activity in my building of which I reported to hospitals but was unable to move due to the dismissed eviction appearing on my credit report with a balance. They refused to have it removed. I had to go to the courts to have it removed and present the receipt the court gave me when I paid the bond. The judgement prevented me from moving. I was forced to sign another lease because of it. It took me a few moth's to have it removed. I decided to buy a house because of my experience at the apartment complex. 6 months after successfully getting the judgement removed I was approved to buy a home. When I moved from the apartments I had a balance of $535 however they falsely reported the balance to a collection agency that has harassed me financially via credit reporting by reporting a false amount owed claiming it was interest being charged on the account which is not an interest bearing account and gradually over the past 6 years to an amount over $800. I never got my deposit back of which was $250. which leaves my balance owed less than $535 That was turned in to collections 2-3 months after I had moved out in January 2013. I have disputed this balance and account because it's not what I owe and I have disputed it on numerous occasions with the credit bureaus two removed it however I recently disputed it again in the past week when I saw that it had increased again and again not only did they continue to report a false balance owed they increased it. If the apartments had reported the correct balance I would have paid it however they've refused to correct it. This account is being reported on negatively impacting my credit and score and it's been as recent as December 2018
Kansas City, Kansas or Kansas City, Missouri?

Defamation laws vary by state ... although I am not quite seeing what you believe is defamation.

Are you troubled by a false collection action appearing on your credit reports?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't even think it's a false collection. The OP seems to acknowledge that some amount is owed. The OP doesn't seem to understand that various fees are often (and correctly) added when a debt goes to collection.

Just Blue

Reporting criminal activity to the hospital will not solve the problem. Report it to the police.

Zigner

I had to go to the courts to have it removed and present the receipt the court gave me when I paid the bond.
I suspect that what you think happened in court didn't happen in court. Why would you have had to show a receipt for money you put in to a bond? That money should have been returned to you had the matter actually been overturned/dismissed.

quincy

I don't even think it's a false collection. The OP seems to acknowledge that some amount is owed. The OP doesn't seem to understand that various fees are often (and correctly) added when a debt goes to collection.
Despite the detailed post, I am not really clear what the problem is that leads lisagross to believe there might be defamation.

I agree that it sounds as if money owed was turned over to a collection agency. Comtacting the collection agency and paying what is owed (or negotiating to pay a lower amount) should resolve the problem.

Zigner

Despite the detailed post, I am not really clear what the problem is that leads lisagross to believe there might be defamation.
You make a good point - I'm not sure why the OP would have chosen this forum...

quincy

You make a good point - I'm not sure why the OP would have chosen this forum...
A lot of posters do not seem to know what defamation is ... so anything believed false is also believed to be defamatory, perhaps? I don't know.

This section of the forum tends to collect threads that have nothing to do with defamation, for whatever reason.

The state name, and clarification of the legal concern, would be helpful. :)

Dandy Don

You have the right to contact the credit reporting agency that hs not removed the item and to provide them with a few sentences of explanatory comments that give your side of the story, so that anyone looking at the report can see their side and your side.

quincy

You have the right to contact the credit reporting agency that hs not removed the item and to provide them with a few sentences of explanatory comments that give your side of the story, so that anyone looking at the report can see their side and your side.
Disputing credit agency reports is pretty easy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">