• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord revealed details of lease/emails to non-tenant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? TX

SLIGHT background: brother in law had temp living situation with us twice...upon 1st visit, he had stored a broken down dirtbike on our landing...when he left, he said to sell it to pay a debt he owed my fiance...we refused to sell it, as since when it was fixed it was to be a gift to my nephew(BIL's son)...dirtbike sat on porch from november till last month...

current: when my fiance returned from his last stint offshore, the manager brought to his attention that the older couple across from us complained about it being there, and told him that it was inappropriate storage, that if we did not remove it, they would...fiance attempted to contact his brother and tell him, and the brother never answered...so fiance told manager to go ahead and remove it, we knew no one who wanted it and did not want to lose our apt over it(a lease violation)...a few days later, my BIL called our rental office and exchanged emails, where BIL told them we had reported it stolen(or had told him it was stolen, when we'd left Voicemail stating it was removed)...the manager proceeded to tell him that we requested it be removed, that there was not an issue of it being there, and that they had set it next to our dumpster to be removed by waste mgt company...then, i am under the impression when fiance called the office and asked about this, the manager proceeded to tell fiance that they had divulged details of our lease, as well as who had made the report and other things(she wouldnt clarify)...the manager forwarded us her emails with BIL as well, and it does state that we told BIL bike was stolen, and they also state to him who reported the bike, and that without being asked, my fiance REQUESTED they remove the bike, that he never wanted it there in the first place....again, the details of our lease that were divulged on the phone were not clarified, and apparently whatever she said, it led to a call from BIL with threats of physical violence, as well as reimbursement of the bike.....do we have any recourse for this?

Alaska landlord

This seems like a family dispute and little to do with landlord tenant issues. Your BIL asked you to get rid of the the bike and you did. He can sue you and you hopefully can produce proof that you were asked to get rid of it.

actually i just reviewed the emails, and in them she is telling BIL who lives here(in our apt), what cars are registered to the apt(we have to register our cars with the office), when our lease was signed, when it is up, and the fact that a friend has originally signed the lease, but was later removed when he left.....she even told BIL the full name of the roomate.....she also told him that my fiance was offshore often, and although has never been late with the rent, that we had to set up a bank draft to pay it on time(we don't have joint accounts, and i don't get along with the office ladies)...they even boldly told him that i had temporarily left my fiance as well.....(they had asked fiance where i was, when no one had seen my hugely pregnant self lol).....and when i read the details on the message itself, it has become apparent the mgr was communicating with my BIL about our apt, BEFORE the issue with the dirtbike came up.....and at one time were going to put BIL on lease during one of fiance's offshore times....we were NEVER aware of this....and fiance was so upset, i doubt he noticed that part, because at the time the emails are all written, he was always offshore.....so apparently during one offshore stint, BIL asked how to be added to lease, and they told him "just come in and we'll *fix* it" is excactly how i pasted it from the email.....he has several felonies and mgr knew this when she actually met him...himliving here was a violation of our lease part of why he was asked to move.....yet now the mgr is telling him she can *fix* it to where he could be here?!

zigner

well if you knew my BIL then you would know the only reason he would request info like that, is to break in.....i don't have to assume something like that, i KNOW that is what he wanted, b/c since then he has mentioned several times to fiance about how "she's never there and you're always at work, what happens if something comes up missing" (she as in me).....there are no true "damages" i guess, however it does bother us greatly to know that our manager is ok with discussing aspects of our home to pretty much anyone, as how does she know for a fact the person on the other end was a family member? what if it were a stalker or someone we have a restraining order against? or, even better, cos i'd love this part honestly, fiance's ex attempting to find "something' to make her and her atty feel better about whatever the hell it is they are up too.....

we are just curious if this is against the law? is there not a privacy act that is being violated? and now after speaking to my mother in law, it is apparent that the manager is on frequent speaking terms with BIL, b/c the other night he told my MIL the date fiance left, and a few other things.....we don't speak to him, so there is no way he'd know this stuff....fiance doesnt have phone offshore, nor internet, and it's not like he recieves mail, but he DOES tell our complex the day he leaves, that he will be gone....and BIL has told MIL. when she asked how he knows this stuff, oh i have a "friend" in the front office....lucky us, she doesnt get involved but did ask me why he would be concerned about our living situation, as it seems strange to her as well, especially that the manager(after being asked not to divulge ANY information to ANYONE), continuously has conversations with BIL to discuss what is going on at our home....MIL even said he knew what our utility bill was, and that we are in a tift with the complex about several issues...

ok....sorry for wasting time, we were just curious.....besides i have my own retaliation against the BIl...but it'd also get his probation officer out in NM in trouble as well(if not fired i'd think)....so dik if i'd want to do that.....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">