• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord selling apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Splen

My husband and I rent a co-op apt. in NY from the owner. After our 1 yr. lease expired in July 2000, the LL agreed to extend the lease for another year, but notified us that he would sell the apt. after the second year (July 2001) with 60 days notice for us to vacate.
My husband has been transferred and we asked the LL to put the apt. on the market now so that we may move. He agreed (verbally)and said we would have 60 days to vacate once he has a buyer. He now has a signed contract from a buyer, but will not allow us to leave until he and his buyer close- who knows when that could be. He is threatening us if we leave sooner.

Are we obligated to stay? Thanks

J

Jack Mevorach, Esq.

Certain agreements must be written to be enforceable in a court of law. Usually leases state that they can't be modified verbally.

I'm in NY. If you like, telephone me for free consult.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">