• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord shut water off!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

helen7

Thank you Who's Liable for the information.
Could you give me your opinion on what I should do. My landlady is a mean, hateful woman, and I dont see her being civil at this point. We have found a home we can move into, but not until January.

stevek3

Who's Liable? said:
Thank you. I am both challenged and refreshed by your unique point of view.

§ 5321.02 Retaliatory conduct of landlord prohibited.

(A) Subject to section 5321.03 of the Revised Code, a landlord may not retaliate against a tenant by increasing the tenant's rent, decreasing services that are due to the tenant, or bringing or threatening to bring an action for possession of the tenant's premises because:

(1) The tenant has complained to an appropriate governmental agency of a violation of a building, housing, health, or safety code that is applicable to the premises, and the violation materially affects health and safety;

(2) The tenant has complained to the landlord of any violation of section 5321.04 of the Revised Code;

(3) The tenant joined with other tenants for the purpose of negotiating or dealing collectively with the landlord on any of the terms and conditions of a rental agreement.

(B) If a landlord acts in violation of division (A) of this section the tenant may:

(1) Use the retaliatory action of the landlord as a defense to an action by the landlord to recover possession of the premises;

(2) Recover possession of the premises; or

(3) Terminate the rental agreement. In addition, the tenant may recover from the landlord any actual damages together with reasonable attorneys' fees.

I *know* what it says. I have to. So what? Life is lived in reality, it's not lived in written words of the revised code. The woman needs running water. The woman needs money. The woman needs to pay her rent. She doesn't exist in a vacuum.

stevek3

helen7 said:
Thank you Who's Liable for the information.
Could you give me your opinion on what I should do. My landlady is a mean, hateful woman, and I dont see her being civil at this point. We have found a home we can move into, but not until January.
You have no bargaining chips until you get your rent paid in full. Get the rent paid.

stevek3

helen7 said:
Thanks for the advice guys! I just paid her some of it...so hopefully that will help.
Ya know, if she had to come to the property to turn off the water, then you could simply hire a maintenance man to come to the property to turn it back on. That's the direct approach, but I don't know how combative you want to get.

rutica

I was just going to say the same thing.

Can you find the main water valve and simply turn it back on? I don't see why you have to hire a maintenance man though. Just find the valve and turn it on.

If you don't know where it is, call the water company and ask them how to do it.

Last edited:

helen7

Well, I contacted the water company and they confirmed that they (the water company) shut the water off. They said that they wont get involved and it is her property so she can shut it off if she wants to. I contacted an attorney today. He told me NOT to give her anymore money. She did cash our check for $150 yesterday, after she shut the water off. The attorney said that we can sue her for damages. He is sending her a letter informing her of the things that could happen if she dosnt turn the water back on in hopes that she will turn it on. Do any of you think that this is the best advice? I go to the other neighbors house and get water from there. Any advice?

stevek3

helen7 said:
Well, I contacted the water company and they confirmed that they (the water company) shut the water off. They said that they wont get involved and it is her property so she can shut it off if she wants to. I contacted an attorney today. He told me NOT to give her anymore money. She did cash our check for $150 yesterday, after she shut the water off. The attorney said that we can sue her for damages. He is sending her a letter informing her of the things that could happen if she dosnt turn the water back on in hopes that she will turn it on. Do any of you think that this is the best advice? I go to the other neighbors house and get water from there. Any advice?
That's what I would suggested in the first place, but you said you didn't have money for rent, let alone anything else. Unless that's a Legal Aid lawyer, I don't know where you came up with the cash to pay him. Do you own a magic lamp?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">