• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord sue for not adding him in the insurance policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

I think lestasri is here just to gather information, which is fine. He can discuss with his attorney the issues we raised here, although his attorney probably has investigated everything already. :)

lestasri

Was there a fire report? That could be a start.

If the wiring is part of the building that the landlord was required to maintain, and the source of the fire was in this wiring, that could mean you as tenant can be compensated for losses (e.g., lost income) over and above the costs to repair or replace the physical items you lost in the fire (e.g., equipment).

However, if the fire originated in the equipment’s wiring, that would be on you and not the landlord.

Is the landlord’s building a single occupant building (i.e., were you the sole tenant) or were there other tenants occupying the building? If other tenants, did the fire result in losses to them?

There are other tenants occupying the building. Another tenant has been compensated for their loss by the insurance.

You can discuss all of this with your attorney. He has access to facts that we do not have. You should rely on his advice.

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate your time.

Good luck.

lestasri

I think lestasri is here just to gather information, which is fine. He can discuss with his attorney the issues we raised here, although his attorney probably has investigated everything already. :)
Thank you Quincy for your kindness... you are right, I just gather information to discuss it with my attorney.

quincy

Thank you Quincy for your kindness... you are right, I just gather information to discuss it with my attorney.
Thank you for answering my earlier questions, lestasri. I think the landlord and the attorneys are probably fact-gathering right now, too.

At least the insurance companies paid out on the original claims already, which is nice.

We all appreciate the thanks, lestasri, so thank you. Good luck.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Maryland

The restaurant got a fire incident, the landlord has insurance to cover the building and the tenant has the insurance to cover the restaurant.
The landlord sues the tenant because the tenant forgot to add the landlord in the insurance policy. The landlord claim to have all the equipment reimbursement to be paid to the landlord, and charge the tenant for the landlord's cost and attorney fee.
I am sorry, but I have read that three times and I am unclear. What equipment is the landlord talking about?

quincy

I am sorry, but I have read that three times and I am unclear. What equipment is the landlord talking about?
Restaurant equipment. The equipment is owned by lestasri and apparently requires electrical wiring - whatever type of equipment it is.

LdiJ

Restaurant equipment. The equipment is owned by lestasri and apparently requires electrical wiring - whatever type of equipment it is.
I still think its unclear exactly what kind of damages the landlord is claiming regarding equipment...unless, as it was suggested, the landlord's insurance company is trying to subrogate their losses. I wish the OP could be clearer about that. And, clearer about the cause of the fire. You are assuming electrical fire, but having owned a restaurant myself, I am leaning more towards kitchen fire.

quincy

I still think its unclear exactly what kind of damages the landlord is claiming regarding equipment...unless, as it was suggested, the landlord's insurance company is trying to subrogate their losses. I wish the OP could be clearer about that. And, clearer about the cause of the fire. You are assuming electrical fire, but having owned a restaurant myself, I am leaning more towards kitchen fire.
The landlord is claiming breach of contract.

And “wiring” was found to be the cause of the fire.

Just Blue

Quincy isn't assuming anything. If you bothered to read the thread you would see that OP stated the cause of the fire was electrical.

LdiJ

The landlord is claiming breach of contract.

And “wiring” was found to be the cause of the fire.
I must have missed that. Which post said that it was wiring?

I also understand that the landlord is claiming breach of contract. However, if the landlord has already been made whole by his insurance company it would only make sense for him to sue the OP if the landlord's insurance was trying to subrogate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">