• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord /tenant issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Leo

My girlfriend rents a townehouse in Ohio and I am thinking of moving in with her. her landlord said that if I do he is going to raise the rent $150.00 a month.Is he allowed to do this legally?

L

LL

I don't know anything about Ohio law, but:

Los Angeles city has a rent control ordinance saying that if an additional person moves in beyond the contracted number of people, then the rent controlled ceiling can be raised by 10% for each such additional person.

I have units in an area which is not within Los Angeles city limits and thus not subject to rent control. I often have tenants who want to add someone, and I charge an additional 10%. I cannot raise the rent during a lease, but if the lease says that only one person is entitled to live there, I can evict a tenant who violates that. Thus, I can negotiate on the basis of writing a new lease for 10% more and allowing 2 people, or eviction.

I hate to stand in the way of true love, but I am entitled to more money for the additional wear & tear.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">