• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

landlord took deposit, now suing the rest of the rent?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

newbie101

ok.

The landlord had the mold tested, it supposedly cleared. The HOA have a copy of the documents (no one gave us a copy even when we continuously asked for it). I had my livingroom tested again, with lab reports, for toxic mold (because my housemates had fevers, coughs, and I had asthma). Although it was in the high range, it is considered cleared. Whether it is federally regulated or not, the lease and landlord & tenant handbook and other resources do state that the home is deemed uninhabitable if mold is present (that is destructive to our health. Mold is everywhere, but at a certain level and non-threatening types) or plumbing issues. I personally do not believe the mold case is useful at this moment.

Mold in high amounts can induce asthma. As soon as I used the inhaler I coughed up green mucus. I believe the doctor knows what he/she is talking about. Additionally, I do not have a history of asthma. People may be predisposed or extra sensitive, however, mold can induce asthma.

We only kept emails from the first 2 months conversation (LL avoided any written statements thereafter), photos of the mold and move out date, and medical documents.

The landlord was given ample time to fix the situation (2 months). During which time, he showed signs of compromise (that's why it took 3 months), but in the end he refuted everything.

I do not want to sue. My deposit money is something I consider as compensation for my stupidity. However, I do not want to lose more money if I can help it. The decision to sue first or not was my attempt to remove him as a now and future threat.

For those who tried to post something, but couldn't I'm sorry. I must have accidentally clicked close thread...I just tried to post something earlier, but couldn't. In any case, I'm sorry.

Last edited:

JETX

I must have accidentally clicked close thread...I just tried to post something earlier, but couldn't. In any case, I'm sorry.
You didn't close it. Your thread was closed by the forum moderator due to the number of incorrect posts made by 'forum trolls'. There are about 3 or 4 of these... and they are in the process of being 'warned'... and banned if necessary. There simply isn't enough time (or energy :D ) to respond to each and every post they make trying to correct them. Especially when some of them go around and follow each other 'confirming' the incorrect advice.

Sorry, but this is done occasionally when the posts get so far off topic or are simply BAD ADVICE... and is done to protect you.

Alaska landlord

Asthma defined:
Asthma is a serious and ongoing disease that affects the airways of both adults and children. Airways are the tubes that carry air in and out of the lungs. Asthma is a chronic, long-term disease with no cure.

If you don't have asthma, then what you were experiencing is asthma like symptoms. There is a difference. Certain people are predisposed to a reaction to molds, It is an immune problem that you have to learn to deal with. In a way, you may lucky because you probably have a hyperactive immune system.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">