• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord towed my car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

south said:
What city is this in?

And if I was you I would move like yesterday.

Santa Rosa

Believe me every day I come home I ask myself why I didn't move... then I figure well it's not that bad, no one broke into my place yet... no one tried to stab me yet...

Yeah I know... I am a stupid, but when you work full time, plus a part time, plus try to run your own business on the side every day it seems like tomorrow is the perfect day to take care of it... kind of like donating your crappy car....

And thanks for the advice on the next apt... I guess I am kinda SOL with this one if they decide to get nasty on me... which somehow I think they will..

Update

UPDATE: So I head out this morning, and happen to notice the other 2 cars which had tow notices (one with expired plates, and the other in no better looking condition that mine that was towed) are still there, and the release to tow paperwork has been removed from the windshields.

And yes both families that own those cars are caucasian, and one family even occupies 2 spaces.

So I asked the manager in passing if they had been given permission to leave their cars there and she just looked at my and laughed as she walked away.

Now I suppose they are allowed to let whoever they want do whatever they want, but how far does this have to go before they are obviously signling me out?

I still stand that those release to tow notices were something to cover their butts so it looked like they weren't singling me out, and now that they have removed them from cars (one of which absolutely violates the non operable clause in the same manner mine allegedly did) are they still behind the shield of techinically right?

I am guessing being laughed off by the manager falls in the same legal category of "smells fishy" in that it doesn't get me anywhere, but what about obviously treated differently?

I hope you guys can look past your obvious bias at my previous post and let me know what you think of the situation as is.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Devedander said:
UPDATE: So I head out this morning, and happen to notice the other 2 cars which had tow notices (one with expired plates, and the other in no better looking condition that mine that was towed) are still there, and the release to tow paperwork has been removed from the windshields.

And yes both families that own those cars are caucasian, and one family even occupies 2 spaces.

So I asked the manager in passing if they had been given permission to leave their cars there and she just looked at my and laughed as she walked away.

Now I suppose they are allowed to let whoever they want do whatever they want, but how far does this have to go before they are obviously signling me out?

I still stand that those release to tow notices were something to cover their butts so it looked like they weren't singling me out, and now that they have removed them from cars (one of which absolutely violates the non operable clause in the same manner mine allegedly did) are they still behind the shield of techinically right?

I am guessing being laughed off by the manager falls in the same legal category of "smells fishy" in that it doesn't get me anywhere, but what about obviously treated differently?

I hope you guys can look past your obvious bias at my previous post and let me know what you think of the situation as is.

**A: get over it man. LIfe's not all peach and roses.

HomeGuru said:
**A: get over it man. LIfe's not all peach and roses.
I understand that but I thought the law was supposed to protect people from being directly misstreated...

Can you honestly say it doesn't seem like I am being treated differently than others?

HomeGuru

Devedander said:
I understand that but I thought the law was supposed to protect people from being directly misstreated...

Can you honestly say it doesn't seem like I am being treated differently than others?
**A: no. You are being mistreated and there is a hint of discrimination.
But, hey, sh*t happens.

HomeGuru said:
**A: no. You are being mistreated and there is a hint of discrimination.
But, hey, sh*t happens.
That's the legal advice in this situation? Sh*t happens? I guess like with everything else you get the advice you pay for...

ENASNI

oh

Devedander said:
That's the legal advice in this situation? Sh*t happens? I guess like with everything else you get the advice you pay for...
SHoot... you were doing so well with the attitude... come on

Thats just HG. We like him... :p

HomeGuru

Devedander said:

**A: ok, then feel free to hire and pay an attorney to tell you the same thing.

Looks like I may have to...

I told my manager I was filing 30 days today and he asked why I was moving. I decided to say I had been thinking of moving for a while and found a great deal (I have actually been thinking of moving for a while too, just this was a kick in the butt).

He then said "Yeah right... just remember when you move I am the one who is gonna decide how much of your deposit you get back, I make ALL the decisions"

And with a tone obviously inferring I would not recieve much if any of my deposit back... I found out a while later from a neighbor the land owner was there and was seen talking to this guy and pointing out my apartment right in the middle of the complex! Not even bothering to do it inside privately.

So looks like I am getting screwed again. I am not interesting in suing over $180 considering it never looks good to see a lawsuit when trying to get a new place, but if they screw me out of near a grand I am gonna have to do something...

This manager has been here about a month and he is gonna decide how much repair I am responsible for in the apt I have lived in for 4 years... is there some guideline he has to go by? I am already screwed on the things that were broken when I moved in, but is there anything i can do to protect myself from being totally raped here?

I know you have all pretty much decided I am a whiny bitch by this point but hopefully it will mean something that my fears were not unfounded and I really am prolly gonna get the screw here and maybe someone will be decent enough to give me some real advice...

or you can continue telling me I am SOL...

HomeGuru

Devedander said:
Looks like I may have to...

I told my manager I was filing 30 days today and he asked why I was moving. I decided to say I had been thinking of moving for a while and found a great deal (I have actually been thinking of moving for a while too, just this was a kick in the butt).

He then said "Yeah right... just remember when you move I am the one who is gonna decide how much of your deposit you get back, I make ALL the decisions"

And with a tone obviously inferring I would not recieve much if any of my deposit back... I found out a while later from a neighbor the land owner was there and was seen talking to this guy and pointing out my apartment right in the middle of the complex! Not even bothering to do it inside privately.

So looks like I am getting screwed again. I am not interesting in suing over $180 considering it never looks good to see a lawsuit when trying to get a new place, but if they screw me out of near a grand I am gonna have to do something...

This manager has been here about a month and he is gonna decide how much repair I am responsible for in the apt I have lived in for 4 years... is there some guideline he has to go by? I am already screwed on the things that were broken when I moved in, but is there anything i can do to protect myself from being totally raped here?

I know you have all pretty much decided I am a whiny bitch by this point but hopefully it will mean something that my fears were not unfounded and I really am prolly gonna get the screw here and maybe someone will be decent enough to give me some real advice...

or you can continue telling me I am SOL...

**A: we do not play what if games. If you do move out and have a security deposit issue, post then and we will try to help you.

HomeGuru said:
**A: we do not play what if games. If you do move out and have a security deposit issue, post then and we will try to help you.
Will do. I was just hoping I could nip it in the bud as I am kinda afraid if and when I do post that I will be told sh*t happens.

HomeGuru

Devedander said:
Will do. I was just hoping I could nip it in the bud as I am kinda afraid if and when I do post that I will be told sh*t happens.
**A: I'll make sure that would not be my response.

ENASNI

HomeGuru said:
**A: I'll make sure that would not be my response.
Oh god.. I sure did need that laugh today HG I am still giggling... whoa... you sure do have that dry humour...
whew.. Okay

4 years you got a lot of wear and tear going for you... sorry to day DEve.. I am tired and do not have it on hand... but it is there for you on the web. Painting... waive... pretty much for sure unless you have done murals of puppies playing poker.

south

Can someone please lock this thread up if I see the title 'Landlord towed my car' one more time I think I am going to go and hang myself..

P.S Off course I will not hang myself until I have collected all of this months rent checks.

ENASNI

well yes

south said:
Can someone please lock this thread up if I see the title 'Landlord towed my car' one more time I think I am going to go and hang myself..

P.S Off course I will not hang myself until I have collected all of this months rent checks.

SHoot man... it is the 5th.... What kind of landlord are you??? :p

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">