• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord won't repair electrical nightmare

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KJWhitt

What is the name of your state? Texas

My friend rented a lovely little cottage outside the city limits last year. She signed a one year lease (pretty standard) with an option to renew in a year and she paid first and last month's rent. She has never been able to use her oven/stove because it trips the breakers. She cannot use her clothes dryer or an electric heater either and she needs some heat in that place! The landlady has never even provided a smoke alarm in the house.

My friend has never been late in paying the rent. The landlady, fearing she might have to spend some money repairing the sub standard electrical mess, has told my friend that she just needs to move out. She has become extremely rude and abusive as well (she lives next door). Twice she has taken my friend's large rolling trash can and tried to hide it. The landlady will steal my friend's mail out of her mailbox if she doesn't get ther first! She recently told my firend she wouldn't be allowed to keep her two dogs even though the contract states she is allowed to have them. It also says the monthly rent amount will remain the same for a year but the landlady is now demanding one hundred dollars more per month.

My friend likes her house a lot but she needs to be able to at least heat the place in the winter! What do you suggest she do about the needed electrical repairs? What legal recourse can she take pertaining to the landlady's bizarre behavior?

Thanks in advance for your help.

KJWhitt :eek:

south

You could call a housing inspector to inspect the home...

As for the mail that is a postal issue you could file a complaint with the postal mail that your mail is being tampered with.

If she has a one year lease with a fixed amount the rent cannot be bumped up before the expiration.

KJWhitt said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

My friend rented a lovely little cottage outside the city limits last year. She signed a one year lease (pretty standard) with an option to renew in a year and she paid first and last month's rent. She has never been able to use her oven/stove because it trips the breakers. She cannot use her clothes dryer or an electric heater either and she needs some heat in that place! The landlady has never even provided a smoke alarm in the house.

My friend has never been late in paying the rent. The landlady, fearing she might have to spend some money repairing the sub standard electrical mess, has told my friend that she just needs to move out. She has become extremely rude and abusive as well (she lives next door). Twice she has taken my friend's large rolling trash can and tried to hide it. The landlady will steal my friend's mail out of her mailbox if she doesn't get ther first! She recently told my firend she wouldn't be allowed to keep her two dogs even though the contract states she is allowed to have them. It also says the monthly rent amount will remain the same for a year but the landlady is now demanding one hundred dollars more per month.

My friend likes her house a lot but she needs to be able to at least heat the place in the winter! What do you suggest she do about the needed electrical repairs? What legal recourse can she take pertaining to the landlady's bizarre behavior?

Thanks in advance for your help.

KJWhitt :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">