• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Last Name Change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lil96

What is the name of your state? I am from VA, but live in Germany.
This is probably a really easy question, I just don'T know the answer or how to get it. Ok I am marrying a German in GErmany, if I take his last name do I need to fill out the paper work (as in name change papers and fees) for here and USA, or just one or the other. Do I have to do it immediately after marriage, ie can I wait til when I have more money?

Name change process is not a one shot deal, you know... When you change your name on the marriage certificate, you still have to go and change your name on all the other documents one by one...for example, you go to social security office with that marriage certificate and change your name, then go do DMV and change your driver's license with that new social security card, then go to your banks, your schools, etc etc and change all their records. You don't have to do it all at once.

So, as long as you assume your husband's name on the marriage certificate in Germany (I am assuming the procedure is similiar to USA), then with that document, you can slowly start to change your names in US when you have the time and money.

What is important - is to do the proper procedure in obtaining the marriage certificate from Germany that would be recognized in US. I don't know the procedure, but you can ask the US embassy in Germany about this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">