• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Laws against keeping package that was marked as "undelivered."

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Applez

What is the name of your state? IL

A family member of mine received a package from Amazon. Amazon marked it as "undelivered", they refunded him his money and then he eventually received the package. He says to me, "It's their mistake. Why should I have to pay for it." Long story short? He doesn't want to pay for it. Moral opinions to the side, are there any laws in place that would require him either to return the package or to pay for it?

Thanks.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

A family member of mine received a package from Amazon. Amazon marked it as "undelivered", they refunded him his money and then he eventually received the package. He says to me, "It's their mistake. Why should I have to pay for it." Long story short? He doesn't want to pay for it. Moral opinions to the side, are there any laws in place that would require him either to return the package or to pay for it?

Thanks.
Why does it matter to you?

Just Blue

Thanks.
Yes.

How much is the package worth ?

PayrollHRGuy

The police aren't going to rush to your door if they hear you received the package because this is a civil not criminal issue.

Amazon would be in well within their rights to reissue the charge.

Applez

Amazon would be in well within their rights to reissue the charge.
This. How do you know this? I'm sure many of us assume the same thing, but where does one go to 1) find the law that substantiates such a claim and 2) where exactly is the law forbidding one from acting in such a way (i.e. by keeping the package in this specific situation)? That's what I need to know, if not for anything else save for my own curiosity.

Zigner

This. How do you know this? I'm sure many of us assume the same thing, but where does one go to 1) find the law that substantiates such a claim and 2) where exactly is the law forbidding one from acting in such a way (i.e. by keeping the package in this specific situation)? That's what I need to know, if not for anything else save for my own curiosity.
It's a contractual matter.
The law is one of theft.
Feel free to contact a criminal defense attorney for verification.

Zigner

For the record, I was in a similar situation with Amazon in the past and I know how it turned out for me.

Applez

That's between Amazon and him. In most cases Amazon doesn't much care.
Still curious to know if it's illegal, though, to be honest.

It's a contractual matter.
The law is one of theft.
Feel free to contact a criminal defense attorney for verification.
I'm not going to take it that far. The issue will be resolved. I just needed an actual law that would help me determine on an objective level that what you just said above is actually true. That it truly is "theft" and the law that determined this specific case to fall under that umbrella. Perhaps contacting an actual attorney might be the only way to feed my curiosity. Either way, thanks again for your help.

For the record, I was in a similar situation with Amazon in the past and I know how it turned out for me.
Whether you paid them back or they did absolutely nothing, is honestly of no concern to me. How they choose to treat a matter is subjective. The law is not.

Zigner

Still curious to know if it's illegal, though, to be honest.

I'm not going to take it that far. The issue will be resolved. I just needed an actual law that would help me determine on an objective level that what you just said above is actually true. That it truly is "theft" and the law that determined that this specific case to fall under that umbrella. Perhaps contacting an actual attorney might be the only way to feed my curiosity. Either way, thanks again for your help.
I've given you what it is so that you can look it up more. That will be much more beneficial to you when it comes to learning about it. Another term to research is conversion.

Whether you paid them back or they did absolutely nothing, is honestly of no concern to me. How they choose to treat a matter is subjective. The law is not.
That is precisely why I didn't say what my outcome was ;)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Are you looking for a law that says, "When you report a package undelivered and you get a credit for it, if the package shows up later you do/don't have to pay for it?"

REALLY?

Applez

Don't get too emotional. It's a simple question. If Zigner is right, you're wrong. If it is theft, there's laws against that. If it's not, then just share your views on that and move it along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">