• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

aztecs

What is the name of your state? California

I may be in a position to have to defend a holographic will. deceased sister will challenge. The will actually states the deceased is intentionally not providing for his sister (they were estranged).

She has zero money whatsoever. The estate is large (over 2 mil). How hard will it be for her to find a lawyer with no money? I'm speaking generally of course.

thanks in advace
aztecs

vrzirn

With an estate that large many taxes will be due. Are the assets in a Trust?
The nicest, simplest way to resolve this is for all the benficiaries to kick in and give the poor sister about 10k. Earn Brownie points in heaven.
Legally, she is not due a cent and any attorney would want up-front money to contest the will after he sees it. A great deal depends upon the circumstances surrounding the drafting of the will. For instance, was the sister included in a previous will?

A

aztecs

thanks for the response.

There was no previous will. He had plenty of health problems, but friends, financial advisors, would all be able to testify, while he could be a real real jerk, he certainly was not unable to express his final wishes.

She would definitely have an uphill battle, which is why I was wondering if any lawyer would take her case on a contingency basis.

He planned poorly, and while he had wanted to do a living trust, never got around to it.

I was very curious how the legal profession worked. Would she be easily able to find someone on contingency, or have a rough road ahead. Thanks for the answer.

aztecs

Dandy Don

It is very doubtful that an attorney would take her case on contingency mainly because she is in the losing position.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">