• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyer lied to attorney grievance commission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mariah65

What is the name of your state (MI)?

Recently my former attorney sent in a response to a complaint I filed against him for lying about my case to the attorney grievance commission. His response was filled with lies. He stated that in his response I came to him for a case for litigation. In an email he sent to me, he wrote the following: I came up with this idea for you and you only. At least give me credit for that. I want to send this to the commission because I believe he clearly lied. Can he get into trouble for lying to the attorney grievance commission?

Last edited:

latigo

Recently my former attorney sent in a response to a complaint I filed against him for lying about my case to the attorney grievance commission. His response was filled with lies. He stated that in his response I came to him for a case for litigation. In an email he sent to me, he wrote the following: I came up with this idea for you and you only. At least give me credit for that. I want to send this to the commission because I believe he clearly lied. Can he get into trouble for lying to the attorney grievance commission?
You filed a grievance accusing your former attorney of "lying to the commission"?

The only way that makes sense is if you filed a grievance on top of grievance accusing the attorney of lying in response to the first grievance. (Whatever!)

So, what independent evidence (i.e., other than your statements) if any, did you submit to the commission to prove his response was untruthful?

Seldom do the parties to this or any disagreement under official scrutiny NOT believe the other party is guilty of misrepresenting.

As to your bare, unexplained question, "can the lawyer get into trouble"? (Unexplained in the sense that you don't tell us the how he allegedly lied and about what he lied about and whether or not the lies were material to the issues before the Commination.)

Answer: About the same chances as you getting into trouble.

One thing seems certain though. Which is that the Commission didn't buy your version of the events. Or that the results of the Commission's findings were negative. Otherwise we wouldn't be talking about it.

Another is that nothing you find in here will have any serious consequences.

quincy

You did not say what your grievance is with the attorney that led to your complaint to the grievance commission, but if the attorney just answered your request to the commission for an investigation, that means the investigation is in its early stages. The commission sends you a copy of the attorney's answer when they receive it.

These investigations typically take six months or more to complete and you will be advised of their decision upon completion.

If the attorney is lying, I am certain the investigators will be able to determine this through their investigation and will take this into consideration when making their decision. Court rules prohibit disclosing the specifics of their investigation during the investigation so you must wait for the process to work its way to its conclusion. Whether the attorney is disciplined over his lies or not is out of your hands. He may only receive a private admonishment.

Last edited:

Paul84

Here's a recent example from New York of what it's like to get a lawyers' secretive grievance commission to police their own: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/22/nyregion/a-manhattan-lawyers-slip-and-fall.html?_r=0

The New York Times article describes a plaintiffs' attorney who made a practice of settling lawsuits and then keeping much of the settlements for himself, without paying his clients their share and thereby defrauding them of some $5 million. If it takes years for such commissions to do anything about massive theft, imagine how proactive they are regarding "lies".

quincy

Here's a recent example from New York of what it's like to get a lawyers' secretive grievance commission to police their own: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/22/nyregion/a-manhattan-lawyers-slip-and-fall.html?_r=0

The New York Times article describes a plaintiffs' attorney who made a practice of settling lawsuits and then keeping much of the settlements for himself, without paying his clients their share and thereby defrauding them of some $5 million. If it takes years for such commissions to do anything about massive theft, imagine how proactive they are regarding "lies".
This thread is from September of last year and, although The New York Times article is interesting, it is preferred on this forum that old threads remain in the archives . Plus, mariah65's state is Michigan, not New York.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">