• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Leave the child alone? Walk to school by themselves?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In WA I think you'll find that walking to school will vary by district. My district it varies between schools given the streets that need to be crossed. But students as young as 1st grade must find their way to school if they are within the walking zone. The walking zone at some schools is easily 1/2 to 3/4s of a mile from the school.

casa

nextwife said:
LOL! Even my wedding shoes weren't $100! My kid gets quality shoes on closeout at places like Marshalls or the Lands End outlet stores. She better NOT ask me to spend any $100 on shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casa
To my surprise, while filling out registration for 6th grade, I found out that the school allows kindergarten students to ride the bus.

Why is a Kindergartner riding the school bus surprising? Our K4 and K5s all ride the bus, unless their parents happen to drive them. My child took Early Intervention classes at 3, and she rode the "little" bus. THe teachers meet the bus and walk the kids to class. I mean, it's not like they could somehow detour AFTER getting on the bus and somehow NOT get to school!
The children in kindergarten ride the bus...when I asked what the procedure was- I learned that the children are not walked on & off the bus. They are picked up at bus stops and dropped off at bus stops- the most supervision they get is when the teacher walks the line of them to the bus afterschool. They told me it's common for kinders with siblings to walk to & from the bus stop with the sibling (1 situation the sibling was 7). Maybe I'm just thinking about my own children...they certainly could not be trusted to stay on the curb, not detour & pet dogs etc. etc. at that age.

When I followed the bus one time to get the route down for my older child- I was amazed at the small children getting off the bus to no one....then walking home from the bus stop with no parent or sibling with them. So, there is no procedure that they are accompanied.

TNBSMommy

When I followed the bus one time to get the route down for my older child- I was amazed at the small children getting off the bus to no one....then walking home from the bus stop with no parent or sibling with them. So, there is no procedure that they are accompanied.

Mine are in fourth and fifth grade, the bus picks them up about an 1/8 of a mile from our house at the end of our rode. I STILL sit there to get them on the bus and sit there to pick them up after school. One of my neighbors lets her boys(1st, 3rd and 3rd~step brothers) walk home after school off the bus, so if my son wants to I let him walk, but I am almost always there. If I'm held up, my other neighbor gets them, and vice versa.

On the other hand, I baby sit a little boy who lives in walking distance from the school, one day he was to ride the bus home b/c his mom was going to work, and they would NOT let him. Walkers are "not allowed to ride the bus" ANYWHERE. I do put him on it in the morning, our bus driver and I talked about it, and she said she wouldn't and couldn't refuse to let him on the bus to go to school, so he has been riding in the mornings, but they absolutely send him to his house in the afternoons no matter what.

Ron1347

I've kind of stayed away from this topic, as I'm a little afraid to offer 'my' 2c worth of my own paranoid view. I and my wife have had two of our grandboys reside with us for extended periods in the past. Twice, being near to full school years on two separate occasions. The boys are 8 & 9 years of age now, but the last time they resided with us they were 7 & 8 years old. Now, the boys are as mature as any child their age for the most part. Even a little more mature than many their ages.

Now...the school bus stop isn't more than 100 feet from the front door of my house. Most kids using that bus stop are always out there anywhere from 15 minutes to 30 minutes prior to the bus arriving. 'I', wouldn't allow 'my' grands to walk out the door until 5 minutes before I knew the bus was to arrive. And even then, I remained at my window, where I could clearly see the boys, until they actually boarded their bus.

Also, I was watching when the bus dropped them off every day. I watched them step off the buss, and watched them every step to my front door.

It isn't that I distrust the 'boys', it's that I distrust the rest of the world. I know...when it comes to 'some' things, I'm so leary and protective. Maybe far too much so, I don't know but, boy it sure makes 'me' feel better! As for allowing them to walk (even the two brothers together) a quarter mile alone, even an eigth mile? NOPE, wouldn't do it! But...that's just 'me', and 'my' comfort level.

rmet4nzkx

Ron1347 said:
I've kind of stayed away from this topic, as I'm a little afraid to offer 'my' 2c worth of my own paranoid view. I and my wife have had two of our grandboys reside with us for extended periods in the past. Twice, being near to full school years on two separate occasions. The boys are 8 & 9 years of age now, but the last time they resided with us they were 7 & 8 years old. Now, the boys are as mature as any child their age for the most part. Even a little more mature than many their ages.

Now...the school bus stop isn't more than 100 feet from the front door of my house. Most kids using that bus stop are always out there anywhere from 15 minutes to 30 minutes prior to the bus arriving. 'I', wouldn't allow 'my' grands to walk out the door until 5 minutes before I knew the bus was to arrive. And even then, I remained at my window, where I could clearly see the boys, until they actually boarded their bus.

Also, I was watching when the bus dropped them off every day. I watched them step off the buss, and watched them every step to my front door.

It isn't that I distrust the 'boys', it's that I distrust the rest of the world. I know...when it comes to 'some' things, I'm so leary and protective. Maybe far too much so, I don't know but, boy it sure makes 'me' feel better! As for allowing them to walk (even the two brothers together) a quarter mile alone, even an eigth mile? NOPE, wouldn't do it! But...that's just 'me', and 'my' comfort level.
But you live within 100', can see the bus stop and are there to see it, that is not the case for every child who waits for that bus, is it? If you were watching for your grandchildren to arrive by bus and saw someone snatch one of the other children, you would call the police even if their parents didn't live within sight, right? How far did you walk to school or bus, and from what age? Now if there is a custody issue, such as you have, then there might be reason to be overprotective. I'm not saying that caution is uncalled for, but rather that a child is more likely to be killed being transported than abducted by a stranger on their was to school. Children are more likely to be abducted by a family member than by a stranger, they are more likely to be abducted by a stranger from their home, car or while playing than in school related activities, that is why schools make policies re transportation and not mandated by statute.

MommaOf4

Hi,
I dont know if this will help any, since I am in Nevada. I am not sure about walking to school alone, as in our neighborhood, kindergarteners walk to school alone. As far as staying, like at home by themselves. Here they do have a law, it is 11.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">