• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Left for dead.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Something odd there.
You called everyone but nobody answered yett 3 hours later out of the blue your father in law sent you a text. So you did manage to contact someone.
Your father in law then said that his phone was hacked, which means someone hacked your father in laws phone and the hacker decided to send you a message saying he's on his way!!
But then after contacting your father in law for real how come you ended up being in the cold for 12 hours if your father in law was only 3 hours away?
The implication all along seems to be that Mark does not accept the hacking story told to him by his father-in-law.

There is no Good Samaritan law in Alaska that requires an ordinary person to act to save another person.

I think a 911 call might have been smart rather than waiting 12 hours,
He definatly was not hacked. They dont like me and want me to go away. He hates my wife also and constantly runs us down to our kids. My wife moved from Fairbanks yo Anchorage 2 months ago and since then he was pissed she was there at his house. Wife got an apt. then I moved down with her.

quincy

I doubt that AAA is available in many of the rural areas either.
There are populated areas between Fairbanks and Anchorage so emergency service is available. Problems are generally with lack of cell service (which apparently was not a problem for Mark) and locating the caller (which apparently was also not a problem for Mark).

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Given that Mark was able to make his phone calls to his family (even though no one answered) obviously he had some coverage. AAA provides roadside assistance in both Fairbanks and Anchorage. Likewise both Fairbanks and Anchorage have state police locations.

Failure on the part of his father in law to come and get him does not constitute "leaving him for dead" and Mark has no legal recourse against him (or anyone) which is the main point. Other options were available to him. He chose not to use them.

But if his father in law was only 3 hours away he was not that far from civilization
The implication all along seems to be that Mark does not accept the hacking story told to him by his father-in-law.

There is no Good Samaritan law in Alaska that requires an ordinary person to act to save another person.

I think a 911 call might have been smart rather than waiting 12 hours,
I live in a rural area and because of that if you break down people tend to stop to see if they can help, I'm sure Canadians are no different and have the same rural type attitude of, "If it was me broken down in sub zero temps in the middle of nowhere I would want someone to stop"
Could be wrong because the world is changing for the worse.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
But if his father in law was only 3 hours away he was not that far from civilization

I live in a rural area and because of that if you break down people tend to stop to see if they can help, I'm sure Canadians are no different and have the same rural type attitude of, "If it was me broken down in sub zero temps in the middle of nowhere I would want someone to stop"
Could be wrong because the world is changing for the worse.
That may be true, but I doubt that any particularly large number of Canadians live in that part of Alaska ;)

quincy

The area between Anchorage and Fairbanks is not an entirely desolate area. And the main route between the two cities has traffic.

The only one I can see who could be prosecuted is the hacker - if a hacker actually exists and can be located.

adjusterjack

I texted him at 6:15 at 7:00 he sent me his location and "I'm on my way" I texted to give my wife gas or to get me.... mo reply. So I waited and at 8:30 he said his phone was hacked and asked if I was there. I said yes. Thinking he was on his way I waited. 3 hrs. I figured he wasn't coming. I then had to call around to find someone who could send my wife some cash she could come get me. Cell phones are spotty on the road. My wife took 4 hrs to get there and get me. I did contact other people after he said on my way but decided help due to him being on his way.
Did you call 911?. If not, your troubles were of your own making. You were obviously able to contact a variety of people who could have called 911 for you if you couldn't get through.

If you are thinking that you are entitled to somebody's money for the ordeal you went through, forget it.

quincy

Did you call 911?. If not, your troubles were of your own making. You were obviously able to contact a variety of people who could have called 911 for you if you couldn't get through.

If you are thinking that you are entitled to somebody's money for the ordeal you went through, forget it.
There are flaws in Alaska's 911 system.

That said, I can see several better options that Mark could have considered rather than sitting on the side of a road for 12 hours.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
We're not talking sub-zero temperatures. OP said it was 30 degrees. That's not very cold. And if one is driving around Alaska it should be pretty normal to carry blankets, etc in one's car for just such an occurrence.

quincy

We're not talking sub-zero temperatures. OP said it was 30 degrees. That's not very cold. And if one is driving around Alaska it should be pretty normal to carry blankets, etc in one's car for just such an occurrence.
Well ... spending 12 hours in 30 degree temperatures is not exactly comfortable and can be dangerous, especially if windy.

WHY Mark spent 12 hours in 30 degree temperatures, though, seems a bit of a puzzle. :)

Just Blue

I spent most all my life in New England. We always had blankets in the trunk. Cause you never know when you will be stuck in a blizzard on RT. 128 for 3 days.

Google Blizzard of '78. ;)

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Well ... spending 12 hours in 30 degree temperatures is not exactly comfortable and can be dangerous, especially if windy.
If one stays in one's car it could be fairly easy to do, especially if there's even just a little bit of sun. Of course, there wouldn't be for the whole 12 hours or if it an overnight event.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">