• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Left US while on valid F1 (in status) and didn't return

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmn0548

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Hello all,

I have a quick question:

I was in f1 status and left in May 2008 (I-20 valid till 2010), after my finals. I decided I did not want to go back to school and so I didn't go back to US.

In October of 2008 my school sent me an email asking me where I was. I didn't know I was supposed to give the International Students Office word that I left and was not returning. I told them I have left, and submitted my I-94 at the airport when I left while I was in status in May. They notified SEVIS and made a note in their system.

I completely didnt know I had to notify the office of international students but they have been notified as of Oct 2008. (I left in May, whilst in status) Please note I do not owe anything to the school as I paid in full till I left) Now end of this year - 2009, I am planning to return to US to continue my studies.

My question is, was what I did wrong? Will there be some kind of bar against me?

Key points:
1. I left while I was in status and have not returned since.
2. I notified School 5 months after I left (I didn't know I had to tell them)
3. They notified SEVIS and made a note in their system immediately
4. Planning for a return trip. Will immigration have something against me in their system?

Thank you for the input.

candg918

You are unlikely to have a problem. Be sure you have current documents from the university.

Increased security has the international student offices checking on "no shows" and even verifying that students are maintaining a full course load. This can be an issue even when a student enrolls for fall term in the spring and then fails a class that is a prerequisite for one of their fall courses.

In the future, it is best to keep the international office informed even if you return home for a visit in case you are delayed on your return trip. Be certain to follow the rules to the letter if you take advantage of the OPT program.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">