• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LEgal Advice on International (UK/US) Contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PayrollHRGuy

Considering that the OP would have to travel from the UK to Naples, assuming he can even do that now and get back to the UK, this might be one of those cases where small claims court isn't the best option from a financial perspective.

quincy

Considering that the OP would have to travel from the UK to Naples, assuming he can even do that now and get back to the UK, this might be one of those cases where small claims court isn't the best option from a financial perspective.
A small claims action would not eliminate miklink’s need for an attorney, and eliminating the cost of an attorney is why most people will seek resolution of a dispute in small claims courts.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Mostly because he is in the U.K. and apparently is not familiar with U.S. law or what the terms of his contract mean.
Fair enough - and good points. I just didn't want the OP to be under the impression that one is actually required in small claims.

quincy

Fair enough - and good points. I just didn't want the OP to be under the impression that one is actually required in small claims.
That is good to point out.

I don’t think he personally can do without an attorney even if small claims courts are designed to be user-friendly courts. This does not seem to be the typical small claims action, though ... and could very easily be moved to a higher court by the agency.

PayrollHRGuy

My thought process against small claims, in this case, is that the $8K limit includes the actual damages court and legal fees. $8K may not cover it when he needs to hire a lawyer.

quincy

My thought process against small claims, in this case, is that the $8K limit includes the actual damages court and legal fees. $8K may not cover it when he needs to hire a lawyer.
I see a lot of problems with miklink trying to pursue a small claims action in Florida when he resides in the U.K. - but perhaps an attorney in his area can read through the contract and advise him better.

PayrollHRGuy

I don't know that a UK attorney will be able to help much other than point him in the direction of a Collier County, Florida attorney as I suggested soon after he posted the wording of the contract.

quincy

I don't know that a UK attorney will be able to help much other than point him in the direction of a Collier County, Florida attorney as I suggested soon after he posted the wording of the contract.
An attorney in the U.K. who is familiar with international contracts should be able to analyze the terms and offer an opinion. I think finding an attorney local to him could save miklink money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">