• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal or Not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Maldyta

I had worked for my employer for a year when I decided to leave. My boss became high rate when I quit that he got back at me by deducting some hours off my check. However, he has not paid me my vacation time and for the last four days that I worked. He sent me a statement saying that it would be directly deposited in my account next pay period. Is that legal? What can I do to get the rest of my check???

E

Ex HR Guy

He may be irate, but his company has to pay you for the days you worked, and he said it will. Most states allow terminating employees to be paid on a normal schedule; a few require faster payment, but even if you are in one of those states, I wouldn't bother making a case out of that as it will come back to haunt you should he ever have to give a reference for you. (And 99 out of 100, someday he will.)

The vacation pay is a different matter. If it is vested, and you can prove it, the company should pay you for it. If however the rules are unclear, it may not be vested. For example, the rules may say it can be taken at the end of one year, or if not taken within the year it is lost. So I suggest you carefully look at the manual and explain it to the boss nicely, by phone and then if needed, in writing, and if he doesn't give you satisfaction, ask his management for satisfaction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">