• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

summerdawn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca

Hey guys, sorry to bother you again. In doing my legal research for my case, I wanted to know what I was up against so I found out the name of dad's attorney (sm's uncle) and looked him up.

I found this:

Ronald McDonald, 69, of Kalamazoo was suspended for one year, stayed, placed on two years of probation and was ordered to take the MPRE within one year. The order took effect April 22, 2006.

McDonald did not comply with conditions attached to a reproval imposed in 2003: he did not complete ethics school or client trust accounting school by the deadline. He was reproved for engaging in the unauthorized practice of law.

In mitigation, he cooperated with the bar’s investigation.

I keep googling this guy's name and looking him up in the yellow pages and I can't find him or his practice or any mention of him working with MIL's paralegal service. It made me wonder if he still practices or not. If he does not practice law, could they have said he was their lawyer in the court documents? They never did mention him by name, only referring to him as "sms uncle".

If he was placed on a one year suspension, and THEN two years of probation his probation will not end until next month. Ironically it says all this was done because he was "engaging in the unauthorized practice of law" and now MIL is doing all this crazy stuff too, and she has said [to me] that he is the attorney affiliated with her paralegal firm. What does stayed mean?

Last edited:

CJane

I'm gonna let someone else answer that question, but I'm curious - was the motion filed pro-se?

summerdawn

I'm gonna let someone else answer that question, but I'm curious - was the motion filed pro-se?

Ummm, if it is filed by a paralegal it is still considered pro se right? It was all typed up by MIL [paralegal] and signed by dad. Sorry, i'm still learning about all of this stuff.

CJane

Ummm, if it is filed by a paralegal it is still considered pro se right? It was all typed up by MIL [paralegal] and signed by dad. Sorry, i'm still learning about all of this stuff.
Hrm. CC needs to be here.

I know that HERE, on your last page where it's all notarized and stuff, the PARTY to the case signs it AND the attorney signs it. If there's NO ATTORNEY, under the party's name, it'll say "PRO SE".

I don't wanna find your other thread. Were you actually SERVED?

CourtClerk

CC is recovering from surgery, so she's in and out... but i'm here for now until the pain meds kick in again.

However, look here to see if he's still licensed in CA
Attorney / Member Search

If the paperwork is filed Pro Per, you will not find the MIL's information on the documents, they are considered filed by him. ONLY if he's being represented by counsel will you find the attorney's name on any documents. Paralegals don't count.

CJane, here papers don't have to be notorized.

CJane

CC is recovering from surgery, so she's in and out... but i'm here for now until the pain meds kick in again.

Attorney / Member Search

If the paperwork is filed Pro Per, you will not find the MIL's information on the documents, they are considered filed by him. ONLY if he's being represented by counsel will you find the attorney's name on any documents. Paralegals don't count.

CA is so nutty.

What kinda surgery? Is all well?

summerdawn

Der. :eek: I'm sorry guys. I didn't even notice on the top of his papers it has the guy's office listed. (Same building as MILs offices.) Last time dad served me it said in pro per at the top.

So this means that when I go into the courtroom this guy has to be there to speak for dad?

I'm almost embarassed for the attorney that turned such an unprofessional bunch of paperwork in. I'll be even more sorry if he kicks my butt in court though.

Perky

Ronald McDonald, 69, of Kalamazoo was suspended for one year, stayed, placed on two years of probation and was ordered to take the MPRE within one year. The order took effect April 22, 2006.

*****did not comply with conditions attached to a reproval imposed in 2003: he did not complete ethics school or client trust accounting school by the deadline. He was reproved for engaging in the unauthorized practice of law.

Summer, I like the aliases you use; however, sometimes you leave in identifying information such as the starred part above. If you intended it, then just ignore me. If you didn't, then you may want to change it. :p

summerdawn

Summer, I like the aliases you use; however, sometimes you leave in identifying information such as the starred part above. If you intended it, then just ignore me. If you didn't, then you may want to change it. :p

OMG thank you! That was a total accident! I edited accordingly. :)

summerdawn

Attorney / Member Search

Thanks so much for your help, CC. I hope you have a speedy recovery!! :)

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca

Hey guys, sorry to bother you again. In doing my legal research for my case, I wanted to know what I was up against so I found out the name of dad's attorney (sm's uncle) and looked him up.

I found this:

McDonald did not comply with conditions attached to a reproval imposed in 2003: he did not complete ethics school or client trust accounting school by the deadline. He was reproved for engaging in the unauthorized practice of law.

I keep googling this guy's name and looking him up in the yellow pages and I can't find him or his practice or any mention of him working with MIL's paralegal service. It made me wonder if he still practices or not. If he does not practice law, could they have said he was their lawyer in the court documents? They never did mention him by name, only referring to him as "sms uncle".

If he was placed on a one year suspension, and THEN two years of probation his probation will not end until next month. Ironically it says all this was done because he was "engaging in the unauthorized practice of law" and now MIL is doing all this crazy stuff too, and she has said [to me] that he is the attorney affiliated with her paralegal firm. What does stayed mean?
Based on the above he is NOT an attorney. The Supreme Court has stated he is not an attorney. In order to be an attorney you need to pass ALL PORTIONS OF THE BAR. The MPRE is a portion of the multistate bar. If they are referring to him in their paperwork they have LIED. He is not a licensed attorney based on the above and is apparently practicing without a license. Point it out to the court.

Last edited:

summerdawn

Based on the above he is NOT an attorney. The Supreme Court has stated he is not an attorney. In order to be an attorney you need to pass ALL PORTIONS OF THE BAR. The MPRE is a portion of the multistate bar. If they are referring to him in their paperwork they have LIED. He is not a licensed attorney based on the above and is apparently practicing without a license. Point it out to the court.

Unfortunately, I used the lin CC gave me and he is currently eligible:

Status History
Effective Date Status Change
Present Active
10/5/2007 Active
6/20/2007 Not Eligible To Practice Law
5/11/2006 Active
4/4/2006 Not Eligible To Practice Law
12/13/1999 Active
9/27/1999 Not Eligible To Practice Law
4/23/1998 Active
7/21/1997 Not Eligible To Practice Law
4/20/1995 Admitted to The State Bar of California

OG, is it normal for a person to be "not eligible to practice law" that many times?

CourtClerk

You can be not eligible to practice for something as small as not paying your dues....

You look at my friend's history on the CA Bar, she has been ineligible to practice law 3 times already. She's moved back and forth to GA, and when she was in GA, she didn't renew her CA license. She's not ineligible to practice again in CA, but that's because she permanently moved to GA and is practicing there...

So perhaps he wasn't paying dues, etc. If it were for disciplinary issues, it would say.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">