• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Recourse Against Troublesome Neighbor Interfering with House Sale or Rental?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Paul84

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut state law

For the past six months, my mother and I have been trying to sell (or rent) a condo, her former residence, in what's known as a "active, over-55" community. A recent deal to sell the place fell through because the prospective buyer, from elsewhere in the same community, had heard about a troublesome neighbor of hers. He's probably unemployed, lives with his mother, and has threatened other neighbors if they complain, for example, about the mess that he leaves--e.g. a car he works on that blocks access. Generally, his tools and an unsightly van that he's invariably parking outside tend to encroach on the outdoor, shared common area of the surrounding condo cluster's driveways.

According to the realtor, the police and security say they can do nothing unless they actually see him in the act of threatening neighbors. Is there any civil recourse that one could use? My mother doubts that this guy has any assets, even if we could win a judgment for impeding a sale/rental. Is that even a cause of action? If so, I suppose we could claim monthly maintenance costs and taxes on an empty condo that are likely to reach $15,000 per year. His mother, however, owns and also occupies the neighboring condo where this troublemaker lives. As the "landlord", is she in any way potentially liable for the actions of her son, the tenant?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">