• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal rights on garnishment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tetagirl

What is the name of your state? MI
I was wondering if I have any rights when a creditor seizes my bank account. A judgement was ordered in their favor, but they refuse to work with the debt settlement company I am with. I am self employed and didn't think they could just seize my account since my paychecks go directly into it. Isn't there a percentage?? I went to court today objecting the garnishment and the judge sided with the creditor.

Veronica1228

tetagirl said:
What is the name of your state? MI
I was wondering if I have any rights when a creditor seizes my bank account. A judgement was ordered in their favor, but they refuse to work with the debt settlement company I am with. I am self employed and didn't think they could just seize my account since my paychecks go directly into it. Isn't there a percentage?? I went to court today objecting the garnishment and the judge sided with the creditor.
If the judge sided with the creditor than you have no options. The garnishment was legal, and would have been for the amount awarded by the court. They do not have to work with the debt settlement company either.

ablessin

DId you show to court on the first date when the collector was awarded the seizure?

If not, that might have something to do with what happened this time..... they're like "oh, now you want us to listen to you".

They won't take the freeze off until the balance is settled. I don't know if there is a legal amount they can take..... It might be 80%. My checking account was frozen a while back and they seized and withdrew 80% of the balance. It was a nightmare, but what is to be expected? You pay your bills and if you don't, you suffer the consequence. I sure learned the hard way.

What I did to unfreeze was say, take that 80%, and I will mail you the balance of what is due within the next 10 business days ( I had taken a personal loan out to pay it)

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">